March 29, 2024, 06:53:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: New User: Many Patches have slow vibrato  (Read 4675 times)

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
New User: Many Patches have slow vibrato
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:17:57 am »
Hi,

Many of the patches seem to have a -really- slow vibrato or rising pitch envelope. I'm thinking of Tape Strings. At first I thought it was in the -sample- (MeloString1) but it doesn't seem to be. It seems like there is a sine wave modulator -somewhere- that I can't figure out.

Is this normal? Or is there a way to disable this vibrato?

TIA

---JC

LBH

Re: New User: Many Patches have slow vibrato
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 01:54:18 am »
Hi,

If you mean it's not in the sample or the loop in the sample it self that's audioble too or the loop set in CMI V, then is it about the Flanger effect the slot have added? Try to remove all effects on the sound.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 01:58:33 am by LBH »

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2020, 10:43:28 am »
I tried removing the flanger. No joy.

I also tried swapping a new sound in the Slot where MeloString1 is... and the new sound also does this slow pitch roll.

(On a side note... when I do a search for samples for the slots 'MeloString1' isn't even an option. What's up with -that-?)

Any other ideas?

LBH

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 05:05:29 pm »
In the CMI Vs internal sample browser you only find the original CMI samples.
The melostring1 is'nt a original CMI sample. You can find it in the content/ sample folder.

You can play the sample with your computers musicplayer, and hear if it's in the sample.
If it's not about the effects, then i would think it's about the movement in the looped sample. But i understood you said, it was'nt about that.

Do you have the movement you talk about, if you load a totally static sample of your own in the melostring1 slot.

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2020, 02:53:54 am »
1. Where exactly -is- the content/sample folder on a PC?

2. If I replace the slot sample (melostring1) with any other sample, the vibrato remains. So there's something in this =pathc=.

3. And finally, do -you- get this slow vibrato when -you- load 'TapeString1'?
TIA,

---JC

PS: I can't help but think there is something in the UI that I'm missing. But it's SOOOOOO fucking enormous (the full UI is literally larger than my monitor and I see no way to change it. Just terrible.)

In the CMI Vs internal sample browser you only find the original CMI samples.
The melostring1 is'nt a original CMI sample. You can find it in the content/ sample folder.

You can play the sample with your computers musicplayer, and hear if it's in the sample.
If it's not about the effects, then i would think it's about the movement in the looped sample. But i understood you said, it was'nt about that.

Do you have the movement you talk about, if you load a totally static sample of your own in the melostring1 slot.

LBH

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 01:51:14 pm »

2. If I replace the slot sample (melostring1) with any other sample, the vibrato remains. So there's something in this =pathc=.

TIA,

---JC

PS: I can't help but think there is something in the UI that I'm missing. But it's SOOOOOO fucking enormous (the full UI is literally larger than my monitor and I see no way to change it. Just terrible.)
1. If you have the default location, then it's at C/ ProgramData/ Arturia/ Samples/ - inside this folder you for this sample go to - CMI V/ Factory/ Commuter Bank.

2. Yes but are you sure the sample you tried did'nt have the movement it self? Did you try to load a static sample, that you have created yourself so you know it has no vibrato or any other movement, like i suggested? And did you remove or correct the  sample loop?
I see nothing beside the Flanger that add further movement to the sound. There is no Vibrato added to the sample in CMI V.

3. The movements in the sample include a slow vibrato like movement. Play the sample with your computers musicplayer and hear. Nothing wrong in that. It's a sample, and it's probably taken from a tape - perhaps even from a Mellotron. The vibrato like effect perhaps can be tape flutter or detuning between the original recorded strings.

PS. Do you mean the size of the GUI is terrible? You can resize the GUI through the applications menu. Click the Arturia logo fully left in the top panel.

I can recommend, you look in the manual. That can help to understand the instrument.

Suntower

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 02:40:14 am »
Thanks again. So now that I've found those raw WAVs I can do apples to apples comparisons. Also, your comment about RTFM does not really apply. The ginormous screen seems to have to do with a bug in Cubase HiDPi. So I have to do my testing in the stand-alone app. Anyhoo...

1. If I create a blank patch using Melostring1 in slot 1, I get no 'vibrato'.

2. I have found the same 'vibrato' (which BTW is a 2 semi-tone pitch sweep that takes 3-4 seconds) in -many- other patches. It -always- manifests itself in a particular -slot-, not the entire patch which tells me that there is some 'modulator' particular to slots. Can you think of anything that would account for that?

3. And finally, when I run the stand-alone app, SOMETIMES, the vibrato -stops-, ie. the patch is 'normal'. So it seems almost intermittent.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help in troubleshooting.

---JC

TIA,

---JC

1. If you have the default location, then it's at C/ ProgramData/ Arturia/ Samples/ - inside this folder you for this sample go to - CMI V/ Factory/ Commuter Bank.

2. Yes but are you sure the sample you tried did'nt have the movement it self? Did you try to load a static sample, that you have created yourself so you know it has no vibrato or any other movement, like i suggested? And did you remove or correct the  sample loop?
I see nothing beside the Flanger that add further movement to the sound. There is no Vibrato added to the sample in CMI V.

3. The movements in the sample include a slow vibrato like movement. Play the sample with your computers musicplayer and hear. Nothing wrong in that. It's a sample, and it's probably taken from a tape - perhaps even from a Mellotron. The vibrato like effect perhaps can be tape flutter or detuning between the original recorded strings.

PS. Do you mean the size of the GUI is terrible? You can resize the GUI through the applications menu. Click the Arturia logo fully left in the top panel.

I can recommend, you look in the manual. That can help to understand the instrument.

LBH

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 04:46:54 am »
Your welcome.

I have found the same 'vibrato' (which BTW is a 2 semi-tone pitch sweep that takes 3-4 seconds) in -many- other patches. It -always- manifests itself in a particular -slot-, not the entire patch which tells me that there is some 'modulator' particular to slots. Can you think of anything that would account for that?
This description would have been nice to have from the beginning. I don't have such a modulation by default in the Tape Strings preset, or other presets as far as i recall.
You will get the behavior you describe, if the VIB DEPTH for a slot is being set to MAX.
The slider on the front will affect all slots and is by default assigned to midi cc 72. The slider should be at ZERO.
The VIB DEPTH slider in the SCR/ CONTROL tab control VIB DEPTH for a slot, and should also be at ZERO. - If this is set to MAX for the relevant slot, then it match your description about only one slot is being modulated.
Is both the mentioned VIB DEPTHs at ZERO?

Is the issue about the VIB DEPTH? If so, then is the Tape Strings preset loaded with a MAX setting by default for the relevant slot, or being changed after loading? It should be loaded with ZERO positions.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:52:17 am by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines