March 29, 2024, 08:12:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Both Expression pedal jack 1 and 2 send >3v on both tip and ring  (Read 1716 times)

joeman

• Apprentice
    • Musical Experiments
Hi, apologies if this is not a “technical issue” and simply user ignorance.

Goal: modulate matrixbrute via expression pedal input with eurorack modules.

Process: use a “floating ring” cable.

Discovery: the matrixbrute is sending around 3v on both tip and ring (not just ring as manual states). This is the case with both expression pedal inputs.

Have also tested this using a few different trs cables and a trs to tip / ring splitter y cable. In all cases the 3v is present on both tip and ring.

Does anybody have any advice on how to proceed with my initial goal? (Using the floating ring cable doesn’t stop ~3v being sent into whatever I plug this cable into.. not ideal...?)

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I also performed the same tests using the same cables on 2 other synths (yamaha and dave smith brands) and in both the other synths' cases, the ~3v was NOT sent on both tip and ring.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 07:50:35 am by joeman »
Experiencing a flow of temporal information now, and in anticipation, and in retrospect.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Both Expression pedal jack 1 and 2 send >3v on both tip and ring
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 11:11:09 am »
Although I have not seen the schematics, I'm pretty sure that's just a weak pull up on the tip in order to keep the pedal signal "open" when no pedal is plugged in.

You can safely apply a CV in the range 0 - 3.3 Volts on the tip with the shield as your ground. The pull up is most likely high impedance and any normal signal you connect will overcome that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 04:38:11 pm by DrJustice »

joeman

• Apprentice
    • Musical Experiments
Re: Both Expression pedal jack 1 and 2 send >3v on both tip and ring
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 12:41:33 pm »
Thank you for your response and info. I appreciate the help! :)
Experiencing a flow of temporal information now, and in anticipation, and in retrospect.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines