April 19, 2024, 12:32:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Addidional sequencers for Keystep Pro  (Read 3860 times)

monk

• Apprentice
Addidional sequencers for Keystep Pro
« on: May 04, 2021, 11:28:58 pm »
I use my KSP for a hardware set up. I would like to extend the sequencers to use more synths. Has Arturia ever looked at or mentioned a sequencer 'add on' unit for the keystep Pro? something with no keyboard, just step pads.
What are people using to extend sequencer capacity for hardware set ups?
Has anyone combined a KSP with the Beatstep Pro for extra sequencers for hardware and does the keyboard on the KSP work as controller?
I couldn't find any info or videos online to help answer.

Andrew Henderson

Re: Addidional sequencers for Keystep Pro
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 12:42:31 am »
I use my KSP for a hardware set up. I would like to extend the sequencers to use more synths. Has Arturia ever looked at or mentioned a sequencer 'add on' unit for the keystep Pro? something with no keyboard, just step pads.
What are people using to extend sequencer capacity for hardware set ups?
Has anyone combined a KSP with the Beatstep Pro for extra sequencers for hardware and does the keyboard on the KSP work as controller?
I couldn't find any info or videos online to help answer.

I personally wish track 1 could be used in both DRUM and SEQ mode.  If you think about, both have their own separate midi channels and both have their own separate view of steps, so they would never get in the way of each other.  You could jump back and forth between them and in doing so, midi channel and step view automatically changes with it.  The only thing to do, is to get one to still play in the 'background', while the other is in view, but if so, this would automatically open up an additional sequencer track and we could have 5, instead of 4.

The fact that the drum track, actually has 24 separate tracks, if we were able to assign different midi channels to each of these 24 tracks, like on the BSP, we could have even more, by having each drum track, sequence different stuff, even if more limited.

monk

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 12:56:46 am »
I personally wish track 1 could be used in both DRUM and SEQ mode.  If you think about, both have their own separate midi channels and both have their own separate view of steps, so they would never get in the way of each other.  You could jump back and forth between them and in doing so, midi channel and step view automatically changes with it.  The only thing to do, is to get one to still play in the 'background', while the other is in view, but if so, this would automatically open up an additional sequencer track and we could have 5, instead of 4.

The fact that the drum track, actually has 24 separate tracks, if we were able to assign different midi channels to each of these 24 tracks, like on the BSP, we could have even more, by having each drum track, sequence different stuff, even if more limited.

Thats interesting. That would achieve 5 SQ's if somehow implemented. It would still leave me short though.
I'm just wondering if it is actually at all possible to add a sequencer onto the KSP, using the keyboard from the original KSP to control/play the hardware sequenced on the add on SQ?
I don't really have room for 2 KSP's, but i guess if I did, I would use one to clock the other and have access to 8 sequencers. If only there was a simple 2-4 sequencer add on unit.

gushingcloud

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 01:57:42 am »
I can’t really think of a solution for your issue other than getting another keystep pro, or a beatstep pro (although I think those are only 3 channels and monophonic maybe ?) , or something like the novation circuit or other smaller sequencer. I actually think 2 keystep pros would be amazing next to eachother , maybe one for synths and one for samplers/drum machines. I’m a sucker for lots of things going on at once, but it would get unruly. I’m thinking about (eventually) getting a circuit tracks or rhythm as an affordable companion for a few more channels of sequencing. Plus the sampling. The digitakt is small with 8 channels but expensive.

monk

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 07:59:11 am »
I can’t really think of a solution for your issue other than getting another keystep pro, or a beatstep pro (although I think those are only 3 channels and monophonic maybe ?) , or something like the novation circuit or other smaller sequencer. I actually think 2 keystep pros would be amazing next to eachother , maybe one for synths and one for samplers/drum machines. I’m a sucker for lots of things going on at once, but it would get unruly. I’m thinking about (eventually) getting a circuit tracks or rhythm as an affordable companion for a few more channels of sequencing. Plus the sampling. The digitakt is small with 8 channels but expensive.

Digitakt is a solid idea. It's also very compact for my limited space. I'm just not one for menu diving. Although maybe it's time I start in that direction. Doubling up on the KSP might be the idea I'm most comfortable with for now. I'll look into circuit tracks and rhythm too. Thank you.

ccook

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2021, 10:29:04 am »

Digitakt is a solid idea. It's also very compact for my limited space. I'm just not one for menu diving. Although maybe it's time I start in that direction. Doubling up on the KSP might be the idea I'm most comfortable with for now. I'll look into circuit tracks and rhythm too. Thank you.

You're almost there...  ;D

Elektron Digitone is a (THE) fantastic partner to the KeyStep Pro, and beats the Digitakt IMO.

The Digitone works in 2 groups of 4, which is what makes it so intuitive to use with the KSP.
You have 4 tracks of synths, then 4 dedicated midi-channels that let you use the amazing Elektron Step Seq with external midi gear.

So just simply using the Digitone as a 4-part sound module is great in itself, but working with them in combination is amazingly powerful.
I often play most of my parts first on the KSP, then record the main patterns I want into the Digitone when needed.
It also works great for being able to record the ARP from KSP (something I hope comes in v2 from Arturia).

You mentioned menu diving... there's a slight learning curve with Elektron, but once you get it it's really intuitive and doesn't feel like menu-diving. It's very hands on and tactile, and you get fast when you're familiar.

If I started listing/describing the possibilites/functionality of this set up it would take me days... just trust me, it goes deep!!

Incidentally, I have a few Elektron units, they're all good... the Analog Four is really good with the KSP too, but, given a choice of ANY hardware to go with the KSP, if I had to take just one, it would be the Digitone.

erstlaub

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 06:33:51 pm »
I've got the KSP at the heart of my fairly sprawling pile of gear and use it alongside a few other sequencers - setup as follows:

KSP clock out to Pam's New Workout Module (if I need it, I'll sometimes also feed the reset out to a mult for using around my system)
KSP channel 1 I use to feed notes or sequences into a Squarp Hermod which then gives me 1 to 8 channels of CV/gate or other stuff for controlling eurorack depending on how I configure it.
KSP channel 2 and 3 directly control/sequence a couple of Roland boutiques just because I like having them very immediately avaliable and it's handy to have reference notes for tuning etc.
KSP channel 4 is hooked up to a Digitone via midi, the digitone is setup so that the midi in plays the active of the 4 tracks meaning I can quickly sequence something up and/or noodle by just pressing one of the 4 buttons on the DT.

So, in short, on the KSP, I select channel 1 for eurorack stuff, 2+3 for midi synths and 4 for the 4 tracks of digitone. When I hit start on the KSP, Hermod, Pam's New Workout and the Digitone (and after that in that midi chain a Digitackt too) all start bang on in sync. It's also really handy having the metronome/KSP sequences running when recording notes into the Hermod. You could argue that I'm losing the 1st and 4th channels of the KSP sequencing but I sometimes even use those to sequence the things connected to the sequencers connected to them and then just hit record and play it back into the second sequencer.

Just a little note on the Elektron boxes, both are maybe only a few months old but the method and abilities of the sequencers is unbelievable. The Digitakt in particular is easily the best, most enjoyable to use drum machine I've ever had, and oh yeah, it's also an amazing sampler too. From the outside, I think the elekton workflow feels like it might be a bit overwhelming but I had the Digitakt for a few weeks before I decided I also really wanted the Digitone too (and that's maybe a month after I did the same thing with the Model:Samples and then Cycles and almost immediately wanted the 'upgrade' to the bigger boxes). The Digitakt does 8 channels of samples and then another 8 channels of external midi with most of the fancy trappings. Yeah they are kinda expensive but the magic is strong with them for me anyway.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 06:53:26 pm by erstlaub »

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 08:34:01 pm »
How do you find the one MIDI channel per instrument structure of the Digitakt?  I ruled it out as a drum machine since it seemed to be less than usable with the KSP's drum sequencer.

erstlaub

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 09:24:50 pm »
The Digitakt is at the end of my midi chain (if it's on it at all, I'll often just sit with it on my lap and play it away from the rest of the setup) so I use the internal sequencer as it's just so much more intuitive than the KSP (or any sequencer I've ever used) and it slaves nicely if I want to have it all sync'd. If I want to knock up a quick few patterns in time with everything else it's quick and easy to get nice variations in.

The fact the voices are on different channels doesn't really bother me because of that, I can see why it's slightly weird trying to externally sequence it, it's a little cumbersome setting up external drum machines to the DT's external sequencing but once you've put in the time and saved it as a blank preset it's not too bad. Great for sequencing something like the Cycles which is 6 different engines but a pain setting up thr TR-08 or 09.

I actually find it quite limiting when I use no elektron sequencers because in such a short time I've become so used to the workflow, conditional trigs, p locks, retriggers and all that jazz.

ccook

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2021, 09:43:54 am »
The fact the voices are on different channels doesn't really bother me because of that, I can see why it's slightly weird trying to externally sequence it, it's a little cumbersome setting up external drum machines to the DT's external sequencing but once you've put in the time and saved it as a blank preset it's not too bad. Great for sequencing something like the Cycles which is 6 different engines but a pain setting up thr TR-08 or 09.

Don't forget that the 8 individual Digitakt tracks live on each single midi channel (starting from C-2 I think). I do the same as you with the DN/DT and usually use the 'auto channel', but every now and then I'll set the KSP to the DT's channel that holds my bass sound, and still access the drum hits at the low notes of the KSP.

I actually find it quite limiting when I use no elektron sequencers because in such a short time I've become so used to the workflow, conditional trigs, p locks, retriggers and all that jazz.

Totally agree with this, I don't think there's a faster/better/more intuitive way of programming drums than on the Elektron Seq once you know it... definitely beats the KSP and BSP for me.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines