March 29, 2024, 06:05:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Polybrute Synth, Leave on? or powercycle daily with every use?  (Read 1641 times)

Lokologico

• Apprentice
Hi guys,

The Polybrute is my first serious synth, so please take my question with a grain of salt. I just want to take care of this machine as it cost a good amount of coin and want to treasure it for a long time :).

This whole thing about leaving your synth on or off, to me, seems like a gray area.

My computer is always  on, I honestly never turn it off unless there is an electrical storm where I will turn off for safety.  Can I do the same with the Polybrute?
I noticed that when you leave it, it goes into a standby mode, is this relatively safe to leave on and just go about life? I jam on the Polybrute a few hours everyday, more now that I'm learning it. I hear that turning it off and on will do more damage to analog synths. But I'm scared I'll do more harm leaving it on all the time too for days on end....

Anyway thoughts? advice?

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Polybrute Synth, Leave on? or powercycle daily with every use?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2021, 12:33:14 pm »
With electronics it's the tradeoff between aging due to heat when left on and wear from thermal cycles when switched on/off. Which is worse for a particular piece of equipment would require deep analysis and long term testing. There's also the energy consumption to consider. The PolyBrute is specified as consuming 85W. The standby mode is mostly to save the display from wear, it still consumes almost the full 85W.

Personally, I like to switch a synth on once for the day it'll be used, and leave them off during the night. That feels like a good balance, leaving me with no worries. Leaving it on for a few days during an intense round the clock project is fine too. And as you say, those power cords should be pulled during thunder storms.

In short, don't worry either way - play the synth and have fun :)

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
Re: Polybrute Synth, Leave on? or powercycle daily with every use?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 06:08:24 pm »
Anyway thoughts? advice?

I turn music related electronics on at first usage of the day and leave them on until done for the day.  I never leave my gear on overnight...ever.  My 1st career out of college was as a QA analyst at Apple '82 to '85 and I spent a lot of time working with the electrical engineers on reliability issues.  The main thing I learned was heat is the biggest enemy of electrical components.  That said I also agree that excessive power cycling is a bad thing as well so the goal is to find a middle ground  ;)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines