March 29, 2024, 01:14:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Song / Program Selection in AL5  (Read 2550 times)

JDoo

• Beta-testers
Song / Program Selection in AL5
« on: April 25, 2021, 06:28:39 am »
The AL 5 manual states "You can also use MIDI Program Change messages to change your presets. When working in this way, the MIDI Bank Select MSB selects the song while Program Change selects the Presets within that song."

I am trying to move through presets in Pigments.  No joy there.  Then - it occured to me, maybe Analog Lab supported Program Change messages?  The manual says it supports moving through your "songs" in a playlist via Bank Select MSB (see copy/paste above).  This does nothing for me??  Am I missing something obvious?  Trying to move through "songs" in my Playlist... from my external controller (Novation SL MKIII).  Other stuff maps fine -- just no joy with doing a Program Change to the standalong AL 5

Thanks !

Joe

JDoo

• Beta-testers
Re: Song / Program Selection in AL5
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 02:24:18 pm »
...and to add.  I am trying to do this from AL 5 "Stage View" as noted "Stage view allows to perform on a prepared Playlist, using an Arturia keyboard or sending Program Changes from any MIDI Controller"  on this page -> https://www.arturia.com/store/analog-classics/analoglab

It just doesnt seem to be doing anything with the Program Changes I am sending from my MIDI Controller.  I've launched MIDI Monitor, and can see the messages going to AL 5.  Just... no joy.?

JDoo

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2021, 07:12:26 am »
OK..  this is something I have working from Analog Lab V.. to Pigments.  Am posting this here, because it is where i asked.  The following, worked for me... but is likely wrong, or may not work for others.  So - posting in the interest of sharing.. just in case.  Here are some lesson's learned here. 
1.  If you go to the trouble of mapping a controller to Analog Lab, and Settings in Analog Lab to that controller's CC numbers, etc...  You can unravel your changes, if you are not careful.  I.E  Save.. and save often.  If using what you have setup -- use it from the "Stage" View.  I.E.  Once you have things working..  Always use "Go On Stage" to access.. or you may inadvertently map your controls, while playing (don't ask me how I found this out!).   ::) 

Here is what worked.  I wanted to map and use "Pigments" live.  I need to be able to change patches, without reaching over to a Mac.  I wanted to control these Program Changes... from a controller.  In this case - a Novation SL MKIII.  I had no luck, executing Program Changes from the controller directly to an instance of Pigments on the Mac.  No luck.  I was unable to find any documentation.. But.. I did see reference to controlling Analog Lab V program changes.  What I discovered - Is that I can do the following:

So… (take this with a grain of salt.. ) — through trial and error… I have been able to loop forward and backward through Pigment patches.  I am doing this from an SL MKIII controller to a Mac.. instance of Pigments running in a standalone version of Analog Lab V.

SL MKIII — two buttons assigned to Pigments Patch moves via Components
Button 1 - Previous
CC: 6
7 Bits    from 0-127 ( step -1) (wrap)

Button 2 - Next
CC: 114
7 Bits   from 0-127 (wrap)

Playlist - loaded with ‘Songs’ — these can be by timbre, instrument, song, or SET (i am using)
Note:  Normally - Arturia is assuming each ‘Song’ is comprised of multiple patches.  I up level to the
Playlist comprising of multiple Pigment patches.. in order of songs in a set.  (this allows me to manage the Set ‘Songs’ for multiple instruments
Within the Playlist - ‘Songs’ … which are really just instances of Pigment patches for a song in the playlist

In the Analog Lab “Settings” - I am using a specific MIDI Channel (13) for Pigments.  Other channels are for different instruments from my SL MKIII Controller.
In Analog Lab “MIDI” settings (and this is the part that allows me to move through Pigments patches from my Controller).  I need  to map Next Preset and Previous Preset (the up arrow and down arrow on the GUI. when you’re in the AL editor for MIDI). 
- Click on the Up Arrow in the AL GUI — and hit the control “Previous” button you mapped on your controller.  In my case - that is CC: 6
- Click on the Down Arrow in the AL GUI — and hit the “Next” button you mapped on on your controller.  For me - that was CC: 114

Done.  Now — The Playlist — will move through Pigment patches based on those two buttons. 

I have my SL MKIII mapped in a way, that those two buttons, go forward and backward through multiple instruments for the same SETs…  It works.. and there are other ways to map going directly to patches for a ‘Song’ without setting up sets this way.. but it works.  PITA.. but works. 

Note: Again -- once you have this working... use the "On Stage" view of your Analog Lab... or you will unravel the Previous and Next buttons. 

spride

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 04:51:17 pm »
Here's how I have things set up to change presets in Analog Lab.

• Use Analog Lab - it might work elsewhere but this is all I have tested so far
  • Make a playlist of your presets in a new Song   
  • Use the default Analog Lab CC mappings for Previous Preset (CC28) and and Next Preset (CC29) (Settings, MIDI). Set your controller to emit these (I remapped drum pads 1 and 2 on my Novation Impulse)
  • Crucial Step: In Analog Lab, Settings, Global Settings ensure MIDI Channel is set to ALL   
  • Go to your Playlist and click Go on Stage   
  • Controller should send CC 28 and 29 and Analog Lab should change presets accordingly 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines