April 18, 2024, 04:34:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Glide speed per voice detuning  (Read 1020 times)

bhubauer

• Apprentice
Glide speed per voice detuning
« on: April 20, 2021, 02:27:12 pm »

One of my all time favorite synth sounds is a unison lead when the glide speed for each voice are slightly off..   This is the classic OB-X lead sound.

I thought I could do it my creating a mod matrix for "voices" -> Glide Time, but this doesn't really behave the way I expect... In fact I can't really tell what its doing.

My vote is for that the Amount knob on Voices -> Glide Time should spread out the glide time the same way that Voices -> Pitch Global does for the pitch.

Regards,
Bill

modalmixture

• modeswitching
Re: Glide speed per voice detuning
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 09:48:34 pm »
I'm not familiar with the exact sound you're describing, but it might be possible to achieve something close. After some trial and error, I got the best results with the Glide knob at the 10 - 11 o'clock position, the Glide set to Rate mode in the settings, the PB set to Unison mode, and the Voices > Master GlideTime set to a moderate negative amount. At -35% the effect is obvious but not very musical. At smaller amounts it gets more subtle, though as with everything on the Polybrute, it's a little unpredictable.

bhubauer

• Apprentice
Re: Glide speed per voice detuning
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 01:36:49 pm »
Thanks for messing around with this to see what you could come up with.  I tried something similar and it seems like some of the voices glide and some simply do not -- not what I'm going for.   I'm just looking for subtle variation in the glide speed for all voices.   It creates kind of loose unstable sound in the glide, that can really add excitement to the sound, in my opinion.   I mostly hear it with the old Oberheim synths -- I'm not sure it was ever intentional, just an artifact of analog drift.

Styx was famous for that sound.   The lead tone in "Fooling Yourself" is a good example.

You can get something similar by duplicating A->B, then changing the glide time for B, then put it into Layer mode.    However, its much cooler when all six voices are gliding differently.

Regards,
Bill

« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 01:41:56 pm by bhubauer »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines