April 27, 2024, 01:02:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: A better way to name presets: the Nord model  (Read 1098 times)

modalmixture

• modeswitching
A better way to name presets: the Nord model
« on: April 18, 2021, 10:35:32 pm »
Naming presets is often a pain on any hardware, but I suggest Arturia look at how Nord has implemented alphanumeric naming on their Stage keyboards. It's the best implementation I've ever seen and I think it could be easily implemented using the PB controls.

Basically the encoder knob moves the cursor left and right by default. When a soft button is pressed and held, the knob can then be used to scroll through a horizontal list of alphanumeric characters. Seeing the whole list makes it much easier to move right to the character you want without overshooting. As soon as the soft button is released, the selected character is input in the current position and the cursor advances one space. Other soft buttons act as a backspace and insert spaces.

This may seem like a minor detail, but little things like this really speed up the workflow, and Arturia has clearly put much love and attention to detail into every aspect of the PolyBrute interface.

Edited to add: I've realized that part of what I dislike about using the Amount encoder is that it's not stepped (indexed), and the UI seems to lag just enough that it's easy to overshoot the value you want, whether you're choosing a letter or a modulation amount. Since this encoder is always used for quantized digital input and never voltage control, perhaps in a version version Arturia could make this a stepped encoder.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 10:37:33 pm by modalmixture »

FreMer

• Apprentice
Re: A better way to name presets: the Nord model
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2021, 10:17:51 am »
good idea.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines