March 29, 2024, 12:02:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: KSP unresponsive after firmware update "error"  (Read 5292 times)

ancaja123

• Apprentice
KSP unresponsive after firmware update "error"
« on: April 12, 2021, 10:57:48 pm »
I decided to bring out my KSP as it hasn't gotten much use.  I notice that for some odd reason, my CV/Gate voices are completely out. Nothing at all coming from them, but the Drum Gates were fine for some reason.  So I figured, maybe I turned them off somehow in the MCC.  Connected to MCC, nope nothing there to turn them off so it must be one of MANY bugs which really has started to piss me off, but I see theres a firmware update available, and maybe this would get rid of the bugs.  Excited, I download and install the firmware update.  Mid update my unit turns off completely and a message comes up on the MCC screen stating theres been an "error".  Confused, I try to turn my unit on and off again and its completely dead.   :'(

Arturia, this is absolutely INSANE.  I was extremely excited to buy this product when it was announced and what I received is a $400 paperweight.  Never have I had an experience with it where some kind of bug didn't show up.  Global transpose was advertised (literally the reason I bought it) and never appeared.  I will be speaking with support, but this may be one of the most disappointing and frustrating piece of gear I have ever had, and I've owned tons of vintage synths and samplers throughout my life.   >:(

Three words:  "W T F"

Andrew Henderson

Re: KSP unresponsive after firmware update "error"
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 12:09:48 am »
I decided to bring out my KSP as it hasn't gotten much use.  I notice that for some odd reason, my CV/Gate voices are completely out. Nothing at all coming from them, but the Drum Gates were fine for some reason.  So I figured, maybe I turned them off somehow in the MCC.  Connected to MCC, nope nothing there to turn them off so it must be one of MANY bugs which really has started to piss me off, but I see theres a firmware update available, and maybe this would get rid of the bugs.  Excited, I download and install the firmware update.  Mid update my unit turns off completely and a message comes up on the MCC screen stating theres been an "error".  Confused, I try to turn my unit on and off again and its completely dead.   :'(

Arturia, this is absolutely INSANE.  I was extremely excited to buy this product when it was announced and what I received is a $400 paperweight.  Never have I had an experience with it where some kind of bug didn't show up.  Global transpose was advertised (literally the reason I bought it) and never appeared.  I will be speaking with support, but this may be one of the most disappointing and frustrating piece of gear I have ever had, and I've owned tons of vintage synths and samplers throughout my life.   >:(

I am so sorry to hear this.  I know from experience in general, that problems with your gear is never fun and very anxiety inducing.  I don't think all is lost however, I do think there is a 'backdoor' loader you can enable, to get the firmware to take.  I can't recall the process, but I do believe I saw it mentioned on this forum, when someone else had a problem.  Support should be able to sort you out, I hope.  Please do keep us informed and all the best.

ancaja123

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 01:07:14 am »

I am so sorry to hear this.  I know from experience in general, that problems with your gear is never fun and very anxiety inducing.  I don't think all is lost however, I do think there is a 'backdoor' loader you can enable, to get the firmware to take.  I can't recall the process, but I do believe I saw it mentioned on this forum, when someone else had a problem.  Support should be able to sort you out, I hope.  Please do keep us informed and all the best.

I think it involved patching the clock out into something...I can try that but don't see how it could work when the unit won't even power on.  Thank you for your help though I appreciate it.

ancaja123

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 04:39:48 am »
Hey guys, I managed to get it back on!  So it appears, that the unit wasn't dead, but stuck in "bootloader mode" causing all the LEDs and displays to be off.  Just in case this happens to anyone else, I'd like to post screenshots of the instructions Arturia Support gave me to get it back on.  Now lets please get 2.0 released please!!! :P

ancaja123

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2021, 05:02:41 am »
My CV/Gate outputs are still not responding btw... :'(

off topic, but that was the whole reason I tried updating, and also just tried resetting to factory.  Still nothing.  Sigh.

marcel-x

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2021, 09:51:45 am »
Are the CV’s assigned to the correct sequencer track via shift + cv routing shortcut keys on the unit?

dualmono

• Apprentice
    • dualmono
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 01:30:30 am »
Hey guys, I managed to get it back on!  So it appears, that the unit wasn't dead, but stuck in "bootloader mode" causing all the LEDs and displays to be off.  Just in case this happens to anyone else, I'd like to post screenshots of the instructions Arturia Support gave me to get it back on.  Now lets please get 2.0 released please!!! :P

I just managed to brick mine too during the update process to 2.0.0... did your solution erase your saved projects or is everything intact after the unlock from bootloader mode? Kind of worried about my projects.

Lognroll

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 11:02:29 am »
My CV/Gate outputs are still not responding btw... :'(

off topic, but that was the whole reason I tried updating, and also just tried resetting to factory.  Still nothing.  Sigh.

Made in China.

dualmono

• Apprentice
    • dualmono
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 06:20:29 pm »

I just managed to brick mine too during the update process to 2.0.0... did your solution erase your saved projects or is everything intact after the unlock from bootloader mode? Kind of worried about my projects.

Just unbricked mine and I'm happy to report the projects are intact. 🎉

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 07:08:37 pm »

Just unbricked mine and I'm happy to report the projects are intact. 🎉

This is awesome news!  So glad for you and thanks for sharing!

MARMITO

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 08:04:12 am »
Total relief to see this issue can be resolved!

We've got 2 x key step pros in our studio. Updated my key step pro with the latest firmware with no issues. Thought I'd help my mate out and decided to update his too.

Terrible idea! Like you guys above, the machine died on me! All light off, wouldn't power on. Going into the studio tonight so will follow the instructions Arturia have provided. Praying it resolves the issue!

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2021, 02:07:40 pm »

We've got 2 x key step pros in our studio. Updated my key step pro with the latest firmware with no issues. Thought I'd help my mate out and decided to update his too.

Terrible idea! Like you guys above, the machine died on me! All light off, wouldn't power on. Going into the studio tonight so will follow the instructions Arturia have provided. Praying it resolves the issue!

Best of luck.  These are stressful situations.

dualmono

• Apprentice
    • dualmono
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2021, 02:06:33 am »

I'm pretty sure it'll work out fine!
Good luck.

MARMITO

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2021, 08:06:09 am »
IT’S ALIIIIIIVE!!!!

Cheers gents!

Phew... that was tense. Seems the machine was in bootloader mode. If this happens to anyone else, fear not, there is still hope. Your Key Step Pro is just In stasis and can be awoken from its slumber.

cindy beknackt

• Apprentice
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2021, 01:25:26 pm »
I have the same issue.

Brand new out of the box basically.

First, I powered it up once but the unit didn't do anything except showing "Keystep Pro" (or something) on the OLED. No other LEDs or screens were lighting up and none of the buttons were responsive. After about 5 minutes of this I thought maybe it will work after a first firmware update.

I opened MCC, got an error message at about 50% through the update and the KSP has been dead since.

I'm on Mac OSX Catalina

This FAQ doesn't help since neither the device nor its update are showing up again in Audio-Midi-Setup after removing the device once:
https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization/midi-control-center-fail-to-open-the-device-on-mac-osxhttps://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization/midi-control-center-fail-to-open-the-device-on-mac-osx

I contacted support just now but as it's the weekend I guess both options - returning the unit or finding a solution - will include me sitting in front of expensive paperweight for a few days.

Can't say I'm not frustrated tbh.

I was hoping to read how you guys were able to get yours back to life as some were announcing they got theirs to work.

However, i didn't find more info than "usb disconnect, connect clock in to reset out, power on, disconnect clock, connect usb, open MCC, download FW and manually update within MMC"...

... which doesn't work for me.

Guess gotta rearrange my gear back to before KSP arrival for now.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines