March 28, 2024, 05:42:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arpeggiator sync to key on from midi controller  (Read 1082 times)

DW

• Apprentice
Arpeggiator sync to key on from midi controller
« on: April 11, 2021, 07:32:30 pm »
I'm running Pigments on a laptop outside of the desktop DAW as if it's another hardware synth. I can transmit midi clock to Pigments ok but I'd like to improvise with the arpeggiator real time. I cannot find a way to get the arp to sync up to the keypress meaning it's in time with the midi clock but only in time with when the key was pressed so if I don't press the key exactly on beat then it's always off beat but in time with the clock. How can the note press be synced to the clock whenever a key is pressed?
Also the sequencer doesn't sync to external start.?
Thanks

LBH

Re: Arpeggiator sync to key on from midi controller
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 08:35:22 pm »
Hi,

This sounds like two opposite things to me. Do you wan't to be off beat or not?
Do you mean quantize to correct your playing, if you hit a key wrong?

I can try to answer your questions this way:
Both the ARP and the SEQ only react to your initial keypress to start and stop. That included recorded midi notes.
The ARP will not start over, if you play legato. The sequencer will start over at each keypress, unless you set the playmode to LEGATO and play legato.

If your initial keypress is off beat, then both the ARP and SEQ will play off beat, unless you have something that quantize your playing.
If you wan't your playing to be quantized, then you can do that in example by using a DAWs input quantize functionality, if it has one. Or perhaps you have other tools to do so. Also in any setup you use.

The ARP and SEQ will allways be tempo synced no matter it's on beat or not, if you have set it to be tempo synced, - provided your sync signal works.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:38:17 pm by LBH »

DW

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 09:03:34 pm »
Having the DAW quantize incoming midi notes to the clock before sending to the laptop could be the solution. I'm using Ableton. I don't see way to do that unless it's in MAX which I don't have.
I also sync a Wavestate to MIDI clock and it's has the same issue of not starting/quantizing the arp to the clock when a key is pressed.
Thanks for the reply.

LBH

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2021, 01:44:27 am »
Your welcome.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines