March 29, 2024, 04:13:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Music made with the KSP thread  (Read 3271 times)

synthcreep

• Apprentice
Music made with the KSP thread
« on: April 11, 2021, 08:00:47 am »
Figured I would start this thread off since there doesn't seem to be one.  No rants please, just music made with your KSP (which can be rants). 

It's been an at time arduous road but the music from this video and the accompanying album were sequenced exclusively using a Keystep Pro:

Null Command "Compression Standards"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNkDb9ZP-pY

taken from "Control Language For Deviation"   

https://nullcommand.bandcamp.com/album/control-language-for-deviation

What has everyone else been up to musically?

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
Re: Music made with the KSP thread
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 07:40:31 am »
I dig it!
And I like the thread idea.  8)

This is more of a practice jam from the other day. The KSP is sequencing my Nu:Tekt NTS-1 and Modal CraftSynth 2.0, with my Volca Sample using its own sequencer and synced via Sync-In, not MIDI, cuz I don't have enuf MIDI out capability LOL .... Only two outs on the KSP. I have four things that can take MIDI, and only one has Thru. And that one is out for repairs.
I need a MIDI .... what's-it-called. Splitter? Distributor? Router?

https://soundcloud.com/voxonitus/may-4th-2021-jam
This space left intentionally blank.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 05:28:16 pm »
I agree with you guys, let's focus on the positive side :)

But please whenever possible with a YouTube video instead of just SoundCloud, would very insightful for the community to see how the tracks have been made (at least some parts of it). Especially since 2.0 workflow/new sheet upgrade.
I usually don't video my jams.

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 08:05:45 pm »
This is more of a practice jam from the other day. The KSP is sequencing my Nu:Tekt NTS-1 and Modal CraftSynth 2.0, with my Volca Sample using its own sequencer and synced via Sync-In, not MIDI, cuz I don't have enuf MIDI out capability LOL ....

What's responsible for the klangy resonant sounds?  Is that the Modal?

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 11:35:45 pm »
This is more of a practice jam from the other day. The KSP is sequencing my Nu:Tekt NTS-1 and Modal CraftSynth 2.0, with my Volca Sample using its own sequencer and synced via Sync-In, not MIDI, cuz I don't have enuf MIDI out capability LOL ....

What's responsible for the klangy resonant sounds?  Is that the Modal?
Not sure what you mean by "klangy resonant sounds." Could you elaborate please?

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2021, 12:18:06 am »
They start around 2:53, now that I listen again it's probably more just higher pitched but detuned oscillators as opposed to anything to do with resonance.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2021, 02:36:57 am »
They start around 2:53, now that I listen again it's probably more just higher pitched but detuned oscillators as opposed to anything to do with resonance.
AH! Okay, that.
That's the Korg NTS-1. Probably a custom oscillator, but I couldn't tell you which one. And it IS with resonance, also from the NTS-1. I'm not sure if it's the built-in filter or a custom-effect filter. Sorry. It was just all 'in the flow' and I really don't know what all I used or did LOL
The NTS-1 is a surprisingly powerful little beast I tell you. Well worth $100usd. I might pick up another one so I have two effects devices. I bought it primarily as an effects device, but was surprised at how good it can sound with just its single oscillator. Particularly with custom oscillators, of which there's many free one. Free effects as well. Even loopers!
And, yes, filters. Why? Well, the thing is, the audio in signal comes in AFTER the built-in filter. So putting a custom filter in a Mod, Delay, or Reverb user-slot is very useful.

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 05:40:50 am »
https://soundcloud.com/voxonitus/orchestral-ambient-sketch

No video again. Sorry. It was just impromptu. <shrug>  8) ... It takes more than a few minutes to set shit up such that I can record video.
I just wanted to finally explore the free Spitfire Audio stuff I installed a couple months ago.

Note that it's just a sketch. ZERO mixing or anything has been done to it. As such, it's pretty muddy and has some pretty annoying resonances.
Is it worth continuing work on?
I didn't even save the project LOL .... But it's easy enuf to reproduce.

DingLuKai

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2021, 12:14:37 am »
Hi,
I use the KSP in combination with the BSP and a modular system.
Here's a little jam I recorded last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-L9l9W3pw

I started to build this system one year ago with the goal to have a DAW-less setup and to perform live.
Now I'm quite happy with the modules and the overall sound.
Currently I'm trying to figure out a good workflow to arrange tracks with the KSP and the BSP.

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2021, 06:57:38 pm »

That's really well mixed and orchestrated.  You do much post on it or is that straight to two track?

DingLuKai

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2021, 12:09:53 pm »

That's really well mixed and orchestrated.  You do much post on it or is that straight to two track?

Thank you. There is no post. Mixing is all done within the system. It's recorded straight into the camera.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2021, 09:44:01 pm »
Hey everyone!

I have a new track coming out, that was made 99% on the KSP. 

https://soundcloud.com/fringe_j-tek/coming-soon-fringe-beat-box-play-records-pd5489

It is a classic Acid House track.

Now, I did not play all of this live.  Everything is heavily scripted and programmed, with program change messages being sent from Cubase, into the KSP, for pattern changes. 

The drums are all programmed on my TR-707, but the bass, acid line, synth stabs etc, are all on the KSP.  Whistle and vocals are samples, from Cubase.

I know you guys are all about live use, but that just isn't for me.  I did however enjoy using the KSP to make this track and it is definitely a very different way of working, than that of a DAW alone!

Thanks to anyone who checks this out and I would love to hear any feedback, good, or bad!

=D

DingLuKai

• Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2021, 06:08:36 pm »
Merry Christmas to everyone!

For a christmas song contest I made a modular version of Silent Night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNNjvGjRpXM

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 09:16:17 am »
Nice work thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas to you
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines