March 28, 2024, 10:08:03 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: "Error: Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by..."  (Read 13376 times)

NolaWho

• Apprentice
Hey, for months i've been having issues to connect my MiniLab mkII to my windows laptop. First it didn't work at all, I talked to somebody from customer support but that didn't help either. Then it did kind of work after replugging the USB#Cable a few times and now it doesn't connect at all.

When I connect my Midi and open the Midi Control Center it reads "Error: Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application".

When I open Ableton the Midi cannot be detected in the settings.

Does somebody know whats wrong and how it can be fixed?

Tanks alot!

LBH

Hi,

Have you tried another USB cable and another USB port on your computer?

NolaWho

• Apprentice
Hey, thanks for your response!
Yes, i've tried different ports. I haven't tried a different cable, since i only have the one that came with the midi. And the problem is not that my computer doesnt't rescognize the keyboard.

LBH

Your welcome.

I assume you according to the error message you get have closed all applications that may use the controller.

You say Ableton Live also can't recognize the controller. So i doubt Windows does. Windows can show a connection as it has once been connected.
The fact that more than one application can't recognize the controller indicate it's not an application issue. So if you are sure about that, then it look like it's about something else.
I still suggest you try another USB cable. It's the only way to check, if that has to do with the issue. It very well can be. Or perhaps the controller it self is causing the issue.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 09:24:56 pm by LBH »

NolaWho

• Apprentice
Yes I closed all other applications and restarted my Laptop. So Ableton or the Midi Control Center would be the first thing I open, but it still doesn't work. I have no idea what other programs in the background could be using the midi. Maybe some adobe program.. I have ordered a new cable though, hopefully it'll work.

NolaWho

• Apprentice
Update, buying a new cable did not work. Any other ideas?

LBH

Too bad. Sorry to hear that.

If you have the possibility to try things on another computer, then you can try that, just to see if the controller can be connected to a computer and be seen in software that shall use it. If the controller won't show on another computer, then the issue can be about the controller it self.

If you have the possiblity to connect another controller to the computer, then you can try that. If that work, then the issue can be about the controller.

Also You can try to run a Windows SFC /scannow, to see if a system file that can be repaired is causing the issue. You can find how to on the web. Also do a diskclean, if you have'nt done that.
And you can try to reset Windows after doing a backup of your files, and then reinstall everything.
If this does'nt work, then your issue can be about the controller or your computer.

You can only do troubleshooting.

I presume you have tried to reinstall your software. If not, then you can try that.

I can only wish you good luck.

NolaWho

• Apprentice
Hey, thanks again.

I actually kind of found out what the problem was. The issue lies in an update by Intel. If I deinstall Intel(R) Smart Technology Audio-Controller in the device manager, restart my laptop, open Ableton, connect my midi, reactivate the Audio-Controller to get audio, close and re-open Ableton again, it works  ;D

A lot of extra steps but it finally works!
Thanks for your time

LBH

Hi,

Your welcome.

Thanks for reporting back.
Glad you've got it working.

Cheers

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Unfortunately we had no hope of being able to guess that. Glad you got there in the end.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

wilderbriggs

Thanks for the reply.

I had a look at the manual. I guess my questions are DAW-specific. I understand notes are not exported so I wanted to do what you describe, record the notes of the sequencer into a track.slope

I will try to find out how to do it in Logic Pro X. In the meantime, if someone has a tip about this, I'm all ears.

PS: the letters in the anti-spam verification are too hard to read!!

Nick Mastros

same problem here. when i plugged in the controller it worked and fl studio picked it up, the midi was kinda messed up and it was playing random sounds. when i downloaded the mcc then it never showed up again and it was saying the same error message. someone please fix it or i will refund it.

Gian Salvati

Same here, brand new minlab 3, works on every other software.

NikolajKAY

Same issue with minilab3
Bought it brand new- a week ago, plugged it once and used it a few times. it stopped showing up anywhere now with same error on midi center. 
I got amd hardware, if i figure out the thing i will let you guys know as well

NikolajKAY

Same here, brand new minlab 3, works on every other software.

ok i got solution. what i did was getting new fresh midi control center and arturia center, plus drivers...  aaaand factory reset on device ( you just press and hold oct- and oct+ before plugging) somehow it worked. beware that i did unistall and install midi center quite a few times, so it might be a thing for you as well.
it havent worked for me anywhere so it is probably just drivers issue.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines