March 29, 2024, 12:48:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 88 Essential loses MIDI connection every time computer sleeps  (Read 2579 times)

meflynn85

• Apprentice
Just got and am mostly loving using this controller in Logic Pro except for some reason every time my computer goes to sleep when I wake it up I get no MIDI signal. It's still receiving power so nothing has happened as far as the USB connection, it just looks like it's not connected to any software (Logic, MIDI Control Center, etc). Sometimes if I unplug it and plug it back in it starts working again (and when I unplug it Logic produces a notification about changing # of MIDI in/out channels) but that doesn't always work. I'm not trying to do anything crazy with it, just need to be able to play keys without having to restart everything trying to get it to function.  I'm on a 2016 iMac, connecting with USB. Definitely not the cable. Any ideas? Thank you.

LBH

Re: Keylab 88 Essential loses MIDI connection every time computer sleeps
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 04:20:56 pm »
Hi,

That's because the USB connection shut down on your computer.

I use Windows.

meflynn85

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 02:24:43 pm »
Yes I'm on Mac but I've owned maybe 10 midi controllers over the course of my career and none have had this fatal flaw. In fact I like to put monitor to sleep so I'm not staring at a screen while playing. Crazy that this functionality is just missing.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2021, 02:44:40 pm »
Use hot corners to put your iMac's monitor to sleep, or allow power management to turn off the display after a few minutes inactivity. If you put the whole computer to sleep, sometimes the controller isn't detected when you wake the computer up again. I think this problem is Mac specific, but the likelihood of Apple admitting it's a bug in their firmware is probably next to none.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

meflynn85

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2021, 04:34:22 pm »
So after much research there is no real way around this issue just using the built in energy options on a Mac, BUT there is an app in the Mac App Store called Amphetamine that totally fixes the problem and gives you the kind of granular control over energy settings that Windows has. I still can't believe this is an issue that every other MIDI controller manufacturer has figured out and Arturia hasn't, but I'm thankful I can now keep using my Keylab 88 which I otherwise love.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines