March 29, 2024, 05:39:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Possible Bug: MIDI clock only generated when sequencer is running  (Read 554 times)

catherder-cowboy

• Apprentice
I notice that my beloved MicroFreak (lastest 4.x Firmware) only generates MIDI clock when the sequencer is running. Is there a way to make the device permanently generate clock ?
If not, then I consider this a bug because this is not according to the MIDI specification.
MIDI clock is meant to run all the time and is not meant to be a means of starting, holding and stopping connected devices. There are dedicated system realtime START, STOP and CONTINUE commands for that.
And there is a good reason: Many devices that sync to incoming MIDI clock messages need a short "warmup time" to get their internal workings in sync. And some devices have a so called auto mode that makes them generate their own MIDI clock if the external clock is dropping out.
I am not sure if we can expect any further MF firmware updates, but this is in my opinion just wrong and should be fixed.

NeonBlackCat

• Apprentice
Re: Possible Bug: MIDI clock only generated when sequencer is running
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2022, 06:19:50 pm »
I have a similar problem, trying to sync the MF to Ableton (as this is my brain)

Unlike my Syntakt, where I can start/stop it independently and thus creating stuff without the need for Ableton to be running, the MF does not.
I can set clock to automatic and then I'm able to use the MF without Ableton playing, but then the Arp/Seq is synced internally, which has a totally different time. I set it so to test stuff: Ableton runs at 128 and the MF at 84 so it's totally clear when what is what.

And this counts ofc for ALL synced elements on the MF

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines