December 02, 2021, 07:20:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MicroFreak MIDI problems with Ableton  (Read 1074 times)

Waxings

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MicroFreak MIDI problems with Ableton
« on: March 15, 2021, 02:19:09 pm »
I spent the weekend trying to get it to play nice with Ableton. This is my problem. If i set it up in Ableton as an external instrument, everything works well until I have to rely on Ableton's clock. I have problems when I want to use the MF's sequencer or arpeggiator. I only hear a couple of notes at a time and it does not seem to want to send all the MIDI data. I have tried all kinds of different settings in the MIDI Control Center. I can't seem to find any combination that will work. The main goal is to be able to use the MF with Ableton and send the Midi data from the MF to Ableton and then have the MF play back the data is Ableton plays the data back. Is this a Firmware update issue with 3.0.6 or is this an issue with the unit itself?

Markaj

Re: MicroFreak MIDI problems with Ableton
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 11:00:48 am »
The exact same thing happens to me as well using the same method which is th recommended approach. I've given up trying record sequences or the arpeggiator. Ive tried different USB cables to see if that was the problem and also a midi cable but no luck. I was thinking that Ableton just can't keep up with the data flow but I can't see how that would be true.

Single keys are fine.

I also look forward to hearing a response. If it is not possible, then that's fine. It would be good to confirm it so we don't waste our time. :-)

Cheers
Mark

Machina Ex Humine

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2021, 03:47:56 pm »
Hi,

Same here. i tried on Ableton Live 11 (and Studio One 5.2)

the midi notes sent by the MF keyboard are catched, but the sequencer or arp notes are not. The only way to get the sound from the ARP/SEQ is to record the audio.

benoftroy

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 05:37:49 am »
There is a setting if you press the Utility button, then Midi, then Arp/Seq midi out. Is that turned on? I'm able to record sequences into Ableton from the MF while synced to Ableton's clock without a problem.

UPDATE: re-read your post and I wonder if your issue isn't midi notes colliding. If you're using an external instrument device in Ableton that has a clip playing back a sequence, but your MF is also playing that same sequence based on the preset, it can cause weirdness. I've battled this in the past. I just had to set it up so that either the MF played it's own sequence OR it didn't and instead played the notes coming from Ableton. Of course, those notes coming from Ableton could be a previously recorded sequence from the MF.

Hope something here is helpful.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 07:12:50 am by benoftroy »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines