March 28, 2024, 04:18:03 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Warsaw sound  (Read 2996 times)

razumpolze

• Apprentice
Warsaw sound
« on: March 10, 2021, 08:01:37 pm »
Does anybody know how to produce "Warsaw" (WARSZAWA) sound of David Bowie and Brian Eno from the Low album (1977)? I did some recreations with Mellotron and DX 7, but it is not that. I have V7 collection.

Thank you.

Vladimir 

LBH

Re: Warsaw sound
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 09:19:07 pm »
Hi,

Perhaps this information can help.

In this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpL1IokHH5Y i can see Bowie playing a Chamberlain. It's like a Mellotron but older. I would assume you can use Mellotron.
I also see a ARP Odyssee, that may have been used on the Low album version - or another ARP may have been used. You can try ARP 2600 V.
Then i see a Roland Jupiter 4, but i'm not sure, if that can have been used on the Low album, as it first arrived in the stores in 1978 where the concert is played, and the studio album is from 1977.
Then i see an organ. Not sure which model. Also another keyboard that i can't tell what is. But perhaps a string ensemble have been used if it's not organ sound. Arturia have Solina V, Farfisa V, and perhaps Vox Continental V, that can be of use.

Eno used EMS synths too. I can't tell, if that was used on the Low album.

Yamaha DX7 first arrived in 1983, so that's not on the album Low.
Yamaha CS80 was produced in 1977 but not in the stores in 1976 where low was recorded. Eno have used it i believe, so it perhaps can have been used on Low.

And effects was used on low.

If you find a old Low Vinyl record, then you perhaps can read more detailed informations on the cover.

EDIT: Perhaps a Minimoog was used. EDIT END.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 10:20:19 pm by LBH »

razumpolze

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2021, 07:57:22 pm »
Thank you sir for your kind response! I will try with your suggestions and I will back with some results.

Kind regards.

Vladimir

LBH

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2021, 07:01:42 pm »
Your welcome sir,

Also thanks for your kind posting.

I tried to do a search on the web for the vinyl cover of Low and found an image. According to this https://everyrecordtellsastory.com/2013/04/09/the-bowie-bet-part-7-spitalfields-record-fair/bowie-low-international-version-no-sticker/ , then Eno played Piano, Minimoog, Chamberlain (Chamberlin) and EMI (That must be EMS - Arturia have the Synthi V) on Warszawa.
Bowie Vocals.

Not sure the cover infromations is fully correct. Other instruments is used on the Low album, as you can see on the cover.

Kind regards
LBH

razumpolze

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 07:18:39 pm »
Thank you one more time sir. Mostly I play classical guitar and just recently started to discover the synth world. But it is the whole science as far as I can see, you cannot go through that overnight. I found myself so happy just listening the sounds of Solina or Farfisa or SEM, although my playing is rather very, very primitive. So its good to have some directions from skilled people.

Kind regards,

Vladimir 

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines