March 29, 2024, 12:33:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi Thru / Feedback control!  (Read 1096 times)

BigFknRobots

Midi Thru / Feedback control!
« on: March 02, 2021, 11:56:19 am »
Hey hey!

I was trying to use my KSP with Ableton recently

I've borrowed a friend's Push1 and I love how the keys light up when midi clips play, this is part of the appeal of getting a keyboard with lights associated with the keys for me. As a keys player, sometimes I need to learn keys parts to a song or sometime I write something a long time ago and would like to write complimenting parts to go with it... but I've forgotten how it goes. I'm a very visual person, reading piano rolls is great and all but nothing beats having the keys light up in front of you for the part you're interested in.

The problem!

Sending midi from ableton does light up the keys, but it also causes a feedback loop

I see that having midi pass through the KSP is an excellent feature when you have other gear or controller keyboards feeding into the KSP
Perhaps they are recording on the other midi channels? are in different locations in your studio? who knows
But it's great you can see it light up and then it can control your sound modules "down stream" from it.

But

In some scenarios I ^NEED^ to disable this

another scenario is if you have a hardware synth that has a built in keyboard

You can record into the KSP with the synths native keyboard, stack up some sequences and then use those sequences to drive the synths sound engine.
once again, it risks sending duplicate notes.
Sometimes I want to send midi to the KSP, record sequences or light up the lights but ^not^ pass it on.

I've also seen other posts about Midi thru features where people want it to forward channels that are outside the 4 active channels associated with the sequencer.

I think it really would benefit from the option to set "thru" on a per channel basis.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 05:38:38 pm by BigFknRobots »

BigFknRobots

Re: Midi Thru / Feeback control!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 11:57:40 am »
I liken this to the popular feature in keyboard synths for "local control: on/off"

BigFknRobots

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:23:43 pm »
oh god...

As I'm working on my setup, this is becoming more and more of a problem.

I have a knob and fader midi controller that I would like use to send a bunch of parameters to various synths that are all downstream from my Keystep

1- (not keysteps fault) I've realised that a bunch of my devices don't have midi thru..... so I've ordered a thru box

2- because the keystep doesn't pass through midi CC's outside of the 5 it's sequencing...
Everything is going to become a convoluted mess

I can't just put my knob and fader controller "upsteam" from the ksp and have it forward through those commands
I'll need to order a merger on the outputs to merge in this other controller....

BigFknRobots

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 05:37:54 pm »
this looks pretty sick... 2 in (with merging) 10 out (thru) box kit

https://www.tindie.com/products/deftaudio/midi-merger-splitter-2in-10out-thru-pcb-or-kit/

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines