March 28, 2024, 12:03:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: ability to send custom messages when switching parts  (Read 1332 times)

BigFknRobots

ability to send custom messages when switching parts
« on: March 02, 2021, 12:07:24 pm »
Hey there

I'm using the KSP with a Virus TI
It's awesome using it to drive multiple parts of the synth engine.

One thing that would really help, would be if I could assign a custom sysex command to be sent from the KSP when I switch parts, allowing me to switch the corresponding part to be in focus on the Virus.....

it'd be so intuitive, fun and practical for a feature

eg. switch to track 2, and the virus switches to "part 2"
so when I'm editing the midi sequence for my bassline, the controls on the synth are also editing that part.

It's so easy to get tied up in knots otherwise, easy to make mistakes and it slows you down switching interfaces on both units....

This would also be useful for other setups
eg. you can midi or keymap track selections in Ableton Live.
you switch to track 3 on the KSP, it can select the corresponding track for that software synth or sampler automagically.... bringing that UI to the foreground, ready to edit that sound to your delight.

I know this is a highly specific request, but please consider it!

BigFknRobots

Re: ability to send custom messages when switching parts
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 12:08:48 pm »
failing that

if there's a sysex command that can switch the part of the KSP
Please let me know

maybe I can assign something else to switch parts on both units...
but a native solution, using the buttons already right there and above the keys -  would be far far superior experience!

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 01:50:43 pm »
Unfortunately, the KSP does not deal with sysex commands and you can't currently send program change messages to external synths.

BigFknRobots

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 01:37:23 am »
Unfortunately, the KSP does not deal with sysex commands and you can't currently send program change messages to external synths.

I know it currently can't, but that's why I threw it in the "feature request" section :P

if there's any messages sent at all when switching parts... maybe I can make bomes patch to give me what I need...

Program changes would be sick, and a remote way to mute drum parts would be nice too...  so I could map drum mutes to a midi controller

BigFknRobots

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 01:38:02 am »
Anything that can save you doing 8 button presses with 2 hands while you're gearing up to change sections in your performance is a winner really

eric

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 11:54:41 am »
+1000

BigFknRobots

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 01:02:04 pm »
if it could output any kind of message when switching parts, I could transform that into whatever I needed.

eg. would also be useful for people purely using ableton
You could map the "track focus" in ableton for your synth track to "track 2" on the keystep pro....
or select your drum rack when you're on "track 1" on the keystep pro...

BigFknRobots

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2021, 04:12:36 pm »
I busted my old Novation Remote SL Zero mk2 control surface out of retirement as that can send sysex commands for part switching and other things.

It works well.

Except it's huge.

I can't physically fit it close enough to my keystep pro to be able to hit the KSP 'track select' buttons and a button on that controller for 'part selecting' with one hand.
If I put the Zero directly above the KSP, the screens and controls are hidden by my synth above it.
If I put it on a higher tier on my stand, then I still won't be able to reach that and the KSP with the one hand.

It's either using 2 hands or switching the parts one at a time.... which is lame.

So in the spirit of trying things.
I've mapped some buttons on a streamdeck to send these sysex commands, using the 3rd party software "companion"
and at least this is something I can put far closer to the part select buttons on the keystep pro, so hitting both buttons ^is^ achievable with one hand.

Still... If I could have a Midi message that could switch parts on the keystep pro externally,
I'd love the ability to map them both to the same button on the streamdeck (or another controller)

or if you could grant the ability to send a custom sysex message from the keystep pro straight to my synth, when triggering a track switch...
The would be ultimate.

But at least it looks like I have something workable for the mean time...

(edit: had to scale images and switch formats for them to view well in this forum)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 04:29:14 pm by BigFknRobots »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines