March 29, 2024, 08:03:00 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab 49 Mk. I - Control Change on pad  (Read 1483 times)

mangolassi

• Apprentice
Keylab 49 Mk. I - Control Change on pad
« on: January 09, 2022, 02:49:57 pm »
Hello, I'm trying to use two pads on my Keylab 49 Mk. 1 to control on/off buttons on a panel in Gig Performer. If I set the pads on "Control Change" they visually behave exactly like the buttons on the panel: having and on and off state. However I can't get them to interact in a meaningful way. The controller will still send touch-sensitive midi values from the pads and the virtual buttons will only switch to their "on" states when I press the pads really hard. What's the right setting to make them work as they are supposed to?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Keylab 49 Mk. I - Control Change on pad
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 07:54:22 am »
On your Mk1 it's possible to set the minimum and maximum velocities of the pads to anything you like using the Edit button (read the manual). In many areas the Mk1 was hugely more configurable than the Mk2, and this is one of them. If the pads are working the way you want when you pound the sh-t out of them, I suggest you set the minimum velocity to 126 and the maximum to 127 (I can't remember if you can set the minimum to 127).
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

mangolassi

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 12:06:21 pm »
How would I do that? As soon as I change the mode of the pad to "Control Toggle" I don't have min and max knobs for the pad in MIDI Control Center.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:16:42 pm »
Don't use the Midi Control Centre (which doesn't always properly sync the settings back to the keyboard). Do it from the keyboard itself using the display.

Section 3.9 and 3.10 of the manual explains how to set the min LSB and max MSB in control mode:

https://downloads.arturia.net/products/keylab88/manual/Keylab_Manual_1_1_0_EN.pdf

2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

mangolassi

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 01:20:40 pm »
I think that the Keylab doesn't behave the way it's descibed in the manual. The manual says (on page 24):

"Ctrl Toggle: set the min/max range, and then each time this control is activated it will transmit one value, then the other, etc."

However when I set a pad to Control Toggle it will show the correct behavior visually (switching the LED on and off each time I press it) but it still sends momentary pressure values to Gig Performer. That's what causes the problem apparently. Any way to fix this?

(EDIT: It even recognizes this behavior on the keyboard's display where it will show the last signal sent.)

The work around you suggested doesn't do the trick as it doesn't allow state changes.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 01:23:04 pm by mangolassi »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 01:34:42 pm »
If that's the case then it's probably a bug. On a legacy device like this, it's probably not ever going to get patched unfortunately.
What happens if you set the LSB and MSB values before you change it to control mode? Maybe that's a way round it.

mangolassi

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2022, 07:29:20 pm »
Huh, that's actually hard to believe since it would be a pretty big bug on what Arturia calls a "premium universal controller". And eight years after the last firmware update I'm the first to notice this?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines