March 28, 2024, 10:07:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Best setup without a computer  (Read 6041 times)

afghan7

Best setup without a computer
« on: March 05, 2021, 04:41:01 am »
Hello,

I am a NOOB. I an new to midi controllers. I am looking at buying the mkii 88 keylab for my kids.
What is the best setup to run mkii without a computer? What additional equipment would I need?
I want them to be able to play both with a computer and without a computer.

Thanks

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Best setup without a computer
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 09:04:10 am »
Welcome.

These are midi controllers with no built-in sounds of their own. You have to plug them into a computer running a virtual synth app like Arturia Analog Lab (which the controller already comes with), or into an iPad running iMini, iSEM or iProphet.

If you want something simple for your kids to learn to play on with minimum fuss, buy them a cheap electronic piano/keyboard. All but the most inexpensive keyboards and electronic pianos usually have a USB socket on the back, allowing the unit to be plugged into a computer or tablet and used as a basic midi controller, should you or your children decide you want to explore that avenue. But check before purchase that the keyboard definitely does have a USB socket if you think that will be important to you.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines