March 29, 2024, 10:59:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab Essential 61 Keysplit  (Read 2642 times)

GZ

• Apprentice
Keylab Essential 61 Keysplit
« on: February 23, 2021, 12:44:47 am »
  Alright everyone, I'm a MIDI moron.  I don't get it, I can't get it, I'll never get it.  I have two MIDI genius friends and when I ask them questions in our group chat, they like to keep posting this:

https://youtu.be/qQGgaI-BcI4

So that's who you're dealing with here.

Fortunately, my needs are simple. 

I'm using a pair of Roland Boutique hardware synths (JX-03 and JU-06a).  They have (5-pin) MIDI Ins and Outs and the Outs are also Throughs (apparently).  What I want to do is connect the Keylab to one synth, connect that synth to the other synth, and play one of the synths on the left half of the Keylab and the other synth on the other half of the keyboard.

My questions are, can the Keylab Essential do this, and if so, what's the procedure?

Thanks everybody.

P.S. WTF is with these verification images? Jay-zoos!

LBH

Re: Keylab Essential 61 Keysplit
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 07:41:01 pm »
Hi,

Keylab Essentials it self can't do split.
So if you wan't to play two different things with two different sounds at the same time using one of your soundmodule for one sound and the other for another sound, then it can't be done with Essential.
In example the Keylab MK2 range can do split.

If you can set your sound modules to only work witha certain key range, then that could be a solution.
Please consult the soundmodules manuals about this, or ask in a forum for those modules or the manufactor.

If the sound modules can't do this, then you need a keyboard that can do split. And it can only be done the way you describe , if the modules actually have a midi thru option and is set to use it, or if you have a midi interface. A midi interface will in some situations be best because of midi latency.

GZ

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 08:28:26 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  Well, that's disappointing.  The price jump between the Essential and the MKII is really steep.  I think THE LABORATORY can split, I might try that, or I might have to jump over to the Akai MPK, it looks like that one can do it.  It's a chunk of change more than the Essential, but it's not as expensive as the MKII.  I really don't need a lot of features, just an easy way to split and then ideally, unsplit and easily switch the full keyboard between the 2 synth modules.

RalphNT

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 08:44:48 pm »
see my post in tricks and tips

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines