March 29, 2024, 01:23:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Bug and Freeze...  (Read 2032 times)

TonvaterJan

• Apprentice
Bug and Freeze...
« on: February 20, 2021, 06:56:41 pm »
Hello Arturia,

Iīm on the latest Firmware 1.0.5.234 with my PolyBrute, but it crashed on me while using the Matrix.
Specifically, I was routing several Matrix entries to Velocity (Controlling modulation amount via Velocity); after the 4th Velo-Routing Entry the Synth froze...

And also, I tried to modulate the Speed of LFO3 with itself, but the result was a bit strange, compared to modulating it with a different LFO.
This might be a bug...

Also: How do I get rid of all the Factory Sounds at once? Iīd like to delete them all, but canīt figure out a way to do that...

Thanks.

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: Bug and Freeze...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 07:53:00 pm »
I have not seen any issues like you describe. I just tested assigning velocity to 32 different destinations and that works fine here.

It may sound a little daft, but re-flashing the firmware and also going into Setting/Misc and do a Factory Reset may be worth a try.

I agree that self frequency modulation with LFO 3 is a bit unruly. Could be because it's a bit different with the freely adjustable waveform. At a fine tweaked triangle I can get it to behave similar to LFO 1 and 2, but otherwise feedback is unpredictable by nature, so once the waveforms differs it hard to tell. 

If you want to bulk erase the factory sounds, the easiest way is to use the PolyBrute Connect software. With it you can select multiple patches and using the context menu (right click) to initialize them. You can also create a new empty project and transfer that to the PolyBrute to erase all 768 patches in one fell swoop.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 12:44:47 am by DrJustice »

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 09:57:52 pm »
I tried to modulate the Speed of LFO3 with itself, but the result was a bit strange, compared to modulating it with a different LFO.
This might be a bug...

I've tried self modulating LFO3 with various settings and it's quite cyclic and predictable, IMHO.
Do you have a test case (set of values) or even a Preset which illustrate what you suspect being an issue ?

TonvaterJan

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:38:20 pm »
No LFO3 definitely does something weird.

Attatched is a patch (and mp3s), that does strange things.
Sounds like upon self modulation LFO3 is randomly running way to fast at tiny modulation values.

I also included the same Modulation with LFO2, and here everything is working fine...

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 10:47:16 pm »
Yes, LFO 3 doesn't behave like LFO 1 and 2 with the self-FM. I get some strange results too, particularly at lower rates.

Koshdukai

• Beta-testers
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 11:16:58 pm »
There's a (cyclic) glitch at the top amplitude of LFO3 which I think is due to the not perfect sinusoidal shape of its curve but if that's the issue (its non-perfect curve shape) then yeah, there's an issue with LFO3.

I was expecting a preset showing the LFO3 issue, instead it showed how LFO2 was working fine.

I've edited it to work with both, LFO2->OSC1->Pan Left and LFO3->OSC2->Pan Right.

Both OSCs are set for Continuous Pitch modulation and both LFOs were set to Retrig and Unipolar.

Changing LFO2 to Saw and LFO3 Symmetry to 0% makes them work in a similar (sometimes even in-sync) way.
but trying Ramp (LFO3's Symmetry to 100%) does indeed amplify the "glitch".

...I wished there was a way to visualize the LFO3 waveshape :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:29:40 pm by Koshdukai »

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 11:45:29 pm »
...I wished there was a way to visualize the LFO3 waveshape :)
Use a high pitched oscillator through one of the filters (that way we can hard pan the filters using a square envelope to test two LFOs at once), set the filter Level to minimum, modulate the filter's Level by 100% with the LFO and set the LFO to unipolar. The envelope of the signal as viewed on a scope is the LFO waveform.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 12:20:20 am by DrJustice »

Germain.arturia

• Administrator
  • arturia test team
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2021, 09:56:38 am »
Hello all, and sorry for the delay.
@TonvaterJan : I'm currently investigating the LFO3 issue, but i admit i'm a bit more worried about the freeze you encountered.
Is it reproducible every time?
If so, if you could share a preset which could trig the issue it would be perfect.
Looking forward to read you.
best,

TonvaterJan

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2021, 04:22:04 pm »
Hi Germain,

I didnīt encounter the freeze any more.

Maybe it was due to not turning off the Synth after the Firmware Upgrade - the Synth booted up by itself after the upgrade, so I figured
everything would work as intended.

One thing regarding freeze, though:

When I connected the Synth in my studio the first time, I connected it with all the Plugs at the back
including DIN-MIDI I/O.
With my Studios MIDI Environment, this created a MIDI FeedbackLoop, since the PolyBrute has a default State of DIN-MIDI I/O On.

The first few patches I played, I accidently sent the Synth into oblivion, especially with SequencerPatches.
Thatīs when it froze up a few times, too.

This went on a while, until I figured out, why it behaved so strangely and sluggish- it simply choked on itīs own MIDI-Data.
After removing the DIN-MIDI-In Cable, or Switching MIDI Input Off in the Settings, everything was ok.

But the MIDI Mirroring seems to be a Standard Arturia Problem:
With my Keystep Pro I have the same Problem, and there itīs not really solveable
since the Firmware doesnīt allow to switch off MIDI-Mirroring (yet?)...

Up until now, the Synth is running stable, every time Iīm using it...

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines