April 19, 2024, 11:07:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MatrixBrute to PolyBrute...Should I?  (Read 4831 times)

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
MatrixBrute to PolyBrute...Should I?
« on: February 18, 2021, 06:03:54 pm »
Hi all,

I've been a MatrixBrute owner for 2 or 3 years now and I just learned of the PolyBrute yesterday.  First reaction was being completely blown away then watching the Arturia and Daniel Fisher/Sweetwater vids.  Next step was searching the web to find out when I can get my hands on one.  When I realized they weren't actually available in the US just yet, I calmed down a bit and begin trying to analyze the reasons why I would move on from my MatrixBrute and buy a PolyBrute.

I was hoping this thread would be an ongoing discussion of the differences between them and why a current MxB owner would pull the switch.  I'm especially hoping to hear from those in other parts of the world who already have their hands on one  ;)

Here's some reasons why I'm thinking of making the change...

1)  Stereo output utilization:  The MxB always greatly disappointed me when it came to control of the stereo output field as there's virtually nothing except the delay OR (OR not AND) reverb to widen things out a bit.  In a perfect world, I'd love to be able to independently pan each osc, but it appears even the PolyB doesn't allow that.  Of course it does have the Stereo knob which takes the 6 voices and separates them in a pre-designed fashion, or includes panning of the filters which is very nice...and I believe the Stereo control can be a modulation target so there's some exciting movement to be had from that approach.

2)  Limited effects:  Modulation OR delay OR reverb in the MxB...modulation AND delay AND reverb in the PolyB.  I'm currently running the output of my MxB through my old Korg Radias as an EFX processor...it works OK but I'd rather have EFX onboard that I can modulate...the PolyB appears to deliver that.

3)  Polyphony:  Obviously a huge difference.  At some point though I wonder if 6 voices is really enough when creating patches with a lot of movement and a long release time?  Voice stealing is no fun to have to work around. 

4)  Morphing:  Very exciting possibilities there!  Morphing between A -> B with heavy delay and reverb could sound amazing.

5)  Morphee control:  Reminds me of the A-B-C-D Osc/PCM playback joystick on my old Yamaha SY22...though it didn't move in the Z plane as well.

6)  Motion Recorder:  Another very exciting possibility especially when able to assign as a one-shot or loop.  Would be more exciting if it could record 2 rather than 1 parameter but still very cool...

7)  Display:  The MxB display leaves a lot to be desired, appears the PolyB has an outstanding display.

Well, those are the things I'm thinking about to convince me to move to the PolyB.  I'd love to hear comments from others in my situation to see what you're thought process is  ;)

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: MatrixBrute to PolyBrute...Should I?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 07:11:56 pm »
I'm not in your situation in that I don't have to choose one or the other, but at least I can confirm some details for you:

1) While you can't pan the oscillators directly, if you route each oscillator to one of the filters each, then you can pan each filter separately. The Stereo control  can be a modulation destination.

2) Yes, the FX are quite nice and can be modulated.

3) The utilization of the six voices is helped by flexible voice allocation schemes, including (optionally) reusing voices that are played by the same key and protection from stealing the last voice  of a split etc.

4) The Morphing, both of the dramatic and subtle kind, takes it to another level - it needs to be experienced in person.

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 08:32:09 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply Dr Justice  ;)

I don't necessarily have to choose one or the other, but realistically from work flow and sound creation standpoints it wouldn't make sense for me to keep both.  I wouldn't consider myself an MxB "power" user who has squeezed every last drop out of every feature.  The way I create MxB voices and use them for recording is likely pretty basic compared to many others.  This gives me a strong belief that the PolyB will cover all the ground that I currently rely on the MxB for, plus obviously much more.  Also, I'd love to see one in person, but I live in rural WA state so that's just not going to happen  :(  The best I can do is get as much info as possible and then buy from Sweetwater or someplace with a good return policy - which I hope I won't need to use because I'll love it  ;D

Anyway...

1)  I read the manual "Stereo Spread" section but am still unclear.  As far as panning goes, could I route each OSC to a different filter and then independently pan those filters?  For example, could I have LFO1 panning the Steiner while LFO2 pans the Ladder or am I limited to just modulating the Stereo knob itself?

2)  Something else I didn't mention earlier...and this is just a thing that bugs me, others likely don't care.  When I change presets on the MxB there's a lag of maybe 0.5 seconds while the new preset loads rather than the preset loading instantly as I've experienced on every synth I've ever had...it drives me crazy.  Does the PolyB also have that time lag when changing presets?

3)  I should mention I love the idea of the "random patch" feature.  My old Yamaha SY22 had that and it's a great way to create voices that would never occur to you to try otherwise.

4)  I've always wanted a ribbon controller!  Of course with this one attached I couldn't pull a Keith Emerson and get rude with it - old ELP fans will know what I mean  ;D

The PolyB looks great and is likely just what I'm looking for...I guess a major question at this time is US availability.  I've read the threads expecting it in Nov, then Jan, then Feb and Zzounds saying Mar 8.  Any ideas on an actual date?

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:55:29 pm »
One of the Arturia guys posted about availability here. I suppose there may still be uncertainties in these strange times...

1)  Yes, that's exactly it, independent panning of each filter in addition to the stereo spread. They are two different things working on what is an actual stereo voice path. Sounds that evolve timbrally and spatially in the stereo field are possible.

2) The PB takes 0.25 seconds to do a patch change.

The synth does indeed have some cool performance features - if you like ribbons, chances are you'll love the morphee  :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:02:44 pm by DrJustice »

eno

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 05:43:36 pm »
The best I can do is get as much info as possible and then buy from Sweetwater or someplace with a good return policy - which I hope I won't need to use because I'll love it

Speaking of getting as much info as possible - highly recommend if you haven't done already to watch: watch MylarMelodies PB vid on YouTube (for the "oh jeez wow" factor); watch Loopop's PB review (for the nitty gritty in-depth details); watch Benn Jordan's PB vid (purely for the emotional reaction).

Marc Doty has made 20+ vids demonstrating all the features of the PB in detail (I guess he was impressed :-D

Lacrymology

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 06:06:24 pm »
Personally I love the no-menus thing the MxB has going on and the PB seems to lose that much. It's the *only* way I see it as inferior, and if I was considering the change, that's the only thing I'd have to wrap my brain around

WytchCrypt

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 02:03:46 am »
Just ran across an excellent vid that goes through the controls explaining the differences between the MxB & the PolyBrute.  I didn't realize there were so many differences until I watched this  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h3nWfQIrW8

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines