April 24, 2024, 12:00:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Found a Way to do Faux 3X Ratchet on One-Step of the KSP  (Read 1265 times)

Asobe

• Apprentice
Found a Way to do Faux 3X Ratchet on One-Step of the KSP
« on: February 16, 2021, 09:10:20 pm »
HI All,

I have been posting and asking things as I learn the KSP, but I haven't had anything to give back. Now, there may be something to contribute. I had an idea that worked for me that maybe helpful for those that hardcore miss ratcheting on the KSP. As like me, I love ratcheting for trill and tonguing simulation for flute voices.

So here it is: it was found that a clearly audible ratchet up to 3x on a single note could be saved, copied, pasted and the KSP shut down and restarted while retaining the ratchet. However, the only negative is when a ratcheted step is revisited in step edit mode, it is lost. I haven't tried it under quick or real-time edit stresses. Moreover, I have not tested all cases for additional chance of loss though, so user beware.

Here is a proof case to show the effect:

1. Start step edit
2. Select the step to be ratcheted. Do not use step one for this, as that is the default focused step of step edit mode. Therefore, re-entering step edit mode will whipe-out your work on step one. Other ratchets will be fine so long as they do not receive edit focus. Transport play-through in step edit mode is fine though.
3. Add up to three different pitches to the step. Over this amount and the ratchet is less defined, but a 3x can still be copied to the next step when complete.
4. For best clarity, reduce the gate to the smallest size for each note in the step.
5. (Optional) maximize the velocity of each note for best clarity.
6. If three notes have been chosen, time shift one note to -49, one note to 0, and one note to 50.
7. Now, the magic step, use the pitch encoder to align the notes on top of each other. However, once the third note is layered, editablitly of the second is lost but sound of note two is still retained.
8. save your work and copy and paste until you heart's content.

I have attached a 120bpm -1/16 time division -  16 step pattern with a 3x ratchet

I imagine it could work for chords but the work would be laborious.

Good luck!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines