March 28, 2024, 04:48:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia Keylab mk88 Keybed and velocity question  (Read 2697 times)

Enlil

Arturia Keylab mk88 Keybed and velocity question
« on: February 16, 2021, 03:38:36 pm »
I have the Arturia Keylab mkii 88 black edition since friday, and was willing to pay the extra money, cause I am a piano player and need a good Keybed.

My problem with this keybed is that the keys don't feel smooth, they are rather stiff. If you want to play very softly there is this weird resistance, that I haven't felt on any other piano (Roland, Yamaha, Nord, and even real pianos). It does not feel realistic at all.

But I can live with that.

But my main problem is the velocity. I haven't really been able to play since Friday cause I am trying to find a solution for the velocity. I stumbled upon a youtube video who said to update the firmware, So I did that. I also uploaded a new user into memory and have been experimenting with Log, Exp and Lin. But they feel bad, to be honest. With one setting you can play soft and medium, but everything above that is just hit and miss. One time the note is really loud and sometimes softer while using the same pressure. If I use a different setting the notes are always loud and its hard to play soft.

For a 875,- EURO price tag this is unacceptable. If I can't get a fix through the forums I am going to send it back.

p.s. I am using keyscape and kontakt libraries.
p.s.s. the verification system on this forum is super bad. As if I am loging into my bitcoin wallet.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 03:43:11 pm by Enlil »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Arturia Keylab mk88 Keybed and velocity question
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 11:37:13 am »
Welcome.

This is really why it's important to be able to try before you buy. Which is difficult in these covid times because certainly where I live no physical retailers are open. I left a mk1 Keylab 88 with my wife when we separated, I really miss that controller because I gelled with the mkII, but if you're just not feeling it, personally I don't think you ever will.

As for the forum verification...it is what it is. Mostly the people who complain about it the least are the spammers, with myself and the other mods deleting sometimes upto 100 spam posts per day. Arturia are in the process of developing a new forum which should ease the issues.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

rsr

• Apprentice
Re: Arturia Keylab mk88 Keybed and velocity question
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 02:24:02 pm »
I had a similar problem but the following advice from Arturia's tech support seemed to resolve the issue:

I- Please reinstall the latest Firmware update using the MIDI Control Center

II- Please perform a Factory Reset to your KeyLab MKII, To factory reset your KeyLab MKII, follow these simple steps:

[WARNING: Factory resetting your KeyLab MKII will clear all saved internal User maps. Be sure to back up your settings using the MIDI Control Center]

• Hold the "Octave up" & "Octave down" buttons while powering it up.
• Once the unit has powered up, press the Jog-wheel to confirm.

III- Please test your KeyLab MKII with the MIDI Control Center's MIDI Console monitor, here is how:

1- Close all Audio/MIDI applications
2- Open the MIDI Control Center
3- Connect the Device, If the “Sync” button is available, please press it, if not, then is not needed.
4- Go to the VIEW menu and open the MIDI Console:
​​

5- Test all Keys to see if they are functioning correctly and please pay close attention to the messages receive by the MIDI Console, you should always see a MIDI Note ON message followed by a MIDI Note OFF message and the Velocity Values.

I hope this is helpful, Roy

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines