March 29, 2024, 12:08:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Only half of keys sending MIDI?  (Read 1089 times)

Joe Gore

Only half of keys sending MIDI?
« on: February 07, 2021, 04:39:39 am »
Hiya, folks. I just unboxed a new Keylab 88 MkII, and I've run smack into a weird behavior. Hardware error? Software error? Clueless user error?

Only half my keys are transmitting MIDI signals. Four consecutive chromatic keys work as expected. The next four send no message. For example, starting at middle C (C4): C4 doesn't work. But C#4 D4, D#4, and E4 behave as expected. F4, F#4, G4, and G# 4 are silent. But A4, A#4, B4, and C5 are fine. And so on up and down the keyboard.

By silent I mean both a) no sound and b) no reaction in the MIDI input display of MIDI Control Center, no animated key push in Analog Lab V, and no MIDI IN display in my DAW, Logic Pro.

When I first plugged in, I pushed a few random keys and knobs. Maybe I accidentally entered problematic keystrokes? But when I try the initialize procedure (power cycle while holding octave up and down), the initialize option doesn't appear on the LCD screen — just the usual boot screen. Does that mean that I didn't make any accidental edits, and there's nothing to initialize? Or is this another unexpected behavior?

BTW, I've updated all drivers and software to their latest versions. (That's 1.2.4 for KeyLab.) When I unplug KeyLab's USB MIDI jack and attach it to another controller, all notes trigger as expected, which tells me it's not an issue with my Logic settings, cables, powered USB hub, or my new iMac (running Catalina).

Man, I hope someone can tell me I'm just being an idiot, because I SOOOOO don't want to box up this behemoth!

Thanks in advance for your collective wisdom.  :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 04:45:35 am by Joe Gore »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Only half of keys sending MIDI?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:37:31 am »
Welcome. It does sound like unfortunately you got a duff one.
There really aren't any software settings anywhere you've missed, or any special keystrokes, that could mute the keys in that fashion.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Joe Gore

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2021, 02:17:36 am »
Thanks for the info, Major. Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but good to know. Return process initiated! Maybe the second time will be the charm.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 01:19:55 pm »
Hope so, good luck.
I sometimes wonder what happens to faulty products. Not Arturia (nor even music) related, but I've bought faulty products in the past, and now again again I get the feeling I wasn't the first to open the box. Just a little something that I retrospectively observe wasn't 'quite right' compared to when I unboxed the fully-functioning replacement. Especially if it's a very minor or intermittent fault I reckon they sometimes get repackaged by the retailer and put back in the stock in the hope the next person won't notice the fault/care...
(Clearly that won't happen on this occasion if half the keys don't work.)
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines