May 16, 2021, 11:19:19 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Next Synths to emulate for VC  (Read 497 times)

codevyper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Next Synths to emulate for VC
« on: February 01, 2021, 01:12:38 am »
The synths created so far are great. I've been a VC owner since v2 and love all the adds each version. If I may toss out a few suggestions for VC9 or 8.5, and ones that seem to be severely lacking in the AU/VSTi world without any real representation they would be:

Arp/Rhodes Kroma/Polaris. UVI has a sample based instrument that, while it sounds cool, doesn't begin to do the original justice in terms of its abilities.
Maybe some old Ensoniq stuff like the EDS1/SQ-80/SQ1. I know those are digital wavetable synths and to this point, most of what Arturia has developed have been circuit based replicas that don't require gaining access to wave tables from the original manufacturers. I know trying to do much of the rompler lines would be difficult since Korg or Roland are unlikely to give up their wave tables given they already offer their own VST versions of their 90's+ workstations, but Ensoniq has been out of existence for awhile so perhaps that one would be doable.
I also don't see Akai making any attempt to release their S900/950/1000 series samples in VSTi format. These synths were responsible for the bulk of the 80's and 90's sounds in RnB circles and I would think a welcome addition. Perhaps a treatment of these as well.

Lastly.. As a request on the hardware end of things. I played the KeyLab Essentials 88 at NAMM last year and was very interested in it since it would be far more compact and lightweight for many of the gigs I do, but I can't make use of it if it doesn't contain at least 1 expression pedal input, so I'm hoping for the addition of a couple more pedal inputs on that and please add poly after touch! Man.. Nobody should even build a keyboard controller without at lease some form of aftertouch anymore. And lastly... offer your Keylab essentials in black as well. I had the original KeyLab61 and 88 in white but in many club and theater pit situations, they stand out too much. I know I can get the full Keylab 88 in black but having the essentials in that color also would be awesome. I'd be willing to pay a little more for these added features too.

In any case, this is just my particular wish list. Would love to har other's take on future features. In the meantime, keep up the good work Arturia!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Next Synths to emulate for VC
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 09:55:49 am »
I played the KeyLab Essentials 88 at NAMM last year and was very interested in it since it would be far more compact and lightweight for many of the gigs I do, but I can't make use of it if it doesn't contain at least 1 expression pedal input, so I'm hoping for the addition of a couple more pedal inputs on that and please add poly after touch!

The KeyLab 88 (not the Essential) has expression pedal input and aftertouch (not poly though). To be fair they have to differentiate some functionalities between the Essential line and and main KeyLab line otherwise there would be no point in them selling their premium controllers, two of those differences are the expression pedal input and aftertouch.
2011 iMac 27" MacOS 10.13 High Sierra 2012 MBP 13" Mojave V Collection 6 Analog Lab 4 + 5 KeyStep

codevyper

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 07:16:07 pm »
Hey MajorFubar,

Thanks... Yes I have owned the Keylab 88Mk1 as well as the Keylab 61mk1 before. I do a lot of gigs around town and really don't need the fully weighted keys to get through a simple club gig. Plus the added weight to carry around makes it a little harder to go from gig to gig. So I was attracted to the Keylab Essentials 88 when I saw it at Namm. I realize the need to differentiate price points between the Essentials and the full blown Keylabs. A lot of the time, I need multiple splits to get through a song and sometimes 61 keys won't provide enough real estate for each patch, which is why the E88 is attractive.

Cheers

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2021, 08:19:13 am »
The synths created so far are great. I've been a VC owner since v2 and love all the adds each version. If I may toss out a few suggestions for VC9 or 8.5, and ones that seem to be severely lacking in the AU/VSTi world without any real representation they would be:

Arp/Rhodes Kroma/Polaris. UVI has a sample based instrument that, while it sounds cool, doesn't begin to do the original justice in terms of its abilities.
Maybe some old Ensoniq stuff like the EDS1/SQ-80/SQ1. I know those are digital wavetable synths and to this point, most of what Arturia has developed have been circuit based replicas that don't require gaining access to wave tables from the original manufacturers. I know trying to do much of the rompler lines would be difficult since Korg or Roland are unlikely to give up their wave tables given they already offer their own VST versions of their 90's+ workstations, but Ensoniq has been out of existence for awhile so perhaps that one would be doable.
I also don't see Akai making any attempt to release their S900/950/1000 series samples in VSTi format. These synths were responsible for the bulk of the 80's and 90's sounds in RnB circles and I would think a welcome addition. Perhaps a treatment of these as well.

Lastly.. As a request on the hardware end of things. I played the KeyLab Essentials 88 at NAMM last year and was very interested in it since it would be far more compact and lightweight for many of the gigs I do, but I can't make use of it if it doesn't contain at least 1 expression pedal input, so I'm hoping for the addition of a couple more pedal inputs on that and please add poly after touch! Man.. Nobody should even build a keyboard controller without at lease some form of aftertouch anymore. And lastly... offer your Keylab essentials in black as well. I had the original KeyLab61 and 88 in white but in many club and theater pit situations, they stand out too much. I know I can get the full Keylab 88 in black but having the essentials in that color also would be awesome. I'd be willing to pay a little more for these added features too.

In any case, this is just my particular wish list. Would love to har other's take on future features. In the meantime, keep up the good work Arturia!

Actually, the Polaris is a sort of Chroma lite. Thoe original was awesome. Another ARP to do would be the Quadra; a sort of Omni++

The SQ-80 was also ao beast. I offered Arturia the VST verson that Buchty distributed andd which is demo'ed on YouTube, with Buckty's wishes that it were developed further, which offer still stands. Another heavy-hitter would be the Ensoniq KS/KT machines, which, if I read the Musician's Manal correctly, lets you layer several patches to create a Sound

What I would like to see are the Polymoog and Opus 3. The Poly had four LFO's Osc 1 (saw), Osc 2 (pulse), Osc 3 filter and Osc 4 PW mod and 4 outputs to send its different modes: Mode (internal filter), Unfiltered (filter bypass), VCF and  Multi-mode filter out in parallel, and 95 countrols. I am sure that with their pechent for such things, Arturia could jucie them up

Another one would be the GEM Genisys Arranger Keyboard wihc had an asesome synth and full split/layer as well as letting you layer 6 patches to create a sound. It also packs a DSPP and, If I am told aright TWO 16 track recording studios. It was one of the early fully computerized machines with 64 not poly floppy AND CD-Rom drives and cost 3400 USD (for the small one)

Then there are the various Clavia Nord's on which Barry Carson was quite bullish

ClydeLymanAgain

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 03:15:47 am »
The Farfisa Professional Duo Combines the Professional and FAST. The Professional, upper has the sounds of the Hammond, used by Sly Stone in DANCE TO THE MUSIC, and the Vox-like Reed plus some percussive 'Sustain" voices as well as percussion for the organ sections in banks. The lower KB is the FAST. It was probably one of the most veratile combo organs
http://www.combo-organ.com/Farfisa/index.htm

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines