April 25, 2024, 01:11:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Record with another controller into the Keystep Pro?  (Read 2228 times)

cloclo

• Apprentice
Record with another controller into the Keystep Pro?
« on: January 31, 2021, 04:47:37 pm »
Hi all,

Is it possible to use another MIDI controller into the Keystep Pro?

More specifically: I can output my guitar notes to a mono MIDI signal (via a Sonuus G2M).
I would like to use the overdub step mode to add notes one by one for the chosen step of the pattern (to form chords: like so https://youtu.be/C9B-sqKcemw?t=732)

Is this possible?
Thanks for all the info!

Cheerio!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:36:13 pm by cloclo »

synthcreep

• Apprentice
Re: Record with another controller into the Keystep Pro?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 07:22:11 pm »
They Keystep Pro definitely lets you record notes via MIDI in.  Note that only notes on MIDI channels assigned to tracks on the KSP can be recorded.  So if you have MIDI channel 1 assigned to track 1 on rthe KSP, it will only record notes received on MIDI channel 1 (unless you change the MIDI channel mapping from the default).   

Step mode is almost always broken for me so I can't answer your specific step record question.

cloclo

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 07:35:46 pm »
Ok, so we're halfway there  8)
Let's wait and see who else will join this topic.

al80

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 01:14:50 am »
it will work but  in my case I had a midi loop and doubled notes and there is no option for that scenario on the KSP menus as far as I know.by the way my  beatstep works very well with an external controller with no loop going on and I guess the same goes for the ks1.i hope arturia will notice that.

if anyone find the solution for the midi loop feedback problem  please let me know.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:19:36 am by al80 »

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 09:53:21 am »
Did you try changing the midi in and midi out channels, so that they're not the same?

al80

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 10:57:02 am »
Did you try changing the midi in and midi out channels, so that they're not the same?

hey I just tried your suggestion and  the midi loop is gone.however I don't know how  efficiency this way could be if you have a setup with a lot of input and out midi channels .usually I will send midi in 1 to midi out 1 midi 2 to 2 etc  and I use at least 16 cause I working with multitimbral synths.in a similar daw situation I will close the midi thru  or channel monitoring and I am done.thanks anyway.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 06:56:42 pm »

hey I just tried your suggestion and  the midi loop is gone.however I don't know how  efficiency this way could be if you have a setup with a lot of input and out midi channels .usually I will send midi in 1 to midi out 1 midi 2 to 2 etc  and I use at least 16 cause I working with multitimbral synths.in a similar daw situation I will close the midi thru  or channel monitoring and I am done.thanks anyway.

I'm glad you solved the midi loop issue, but I'm sorry it isn't all you are after.  I totally get it, I am in the exact same boat as you.  I only suggested the changing of midi channels to avoid a midi loop, because that is exactly what I had to do last summer, when I first got my KSP and tried to juggle around it, when it doesn't have soft thru.  Trying to get 16 channels out of a controller, that only supports 4 at once, is a real challenge.  I mainly deal with romplers and all are multitimbral.  Put those along VSTi, which are essentially unlimited and you run out of channels REAL fast.

Here is to hoping some future work on the firmware, can help iron out these shortcomings.

cloclo

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 01:52:32 pm »
Well, I bit the bullet and ordered the KSP. I just tried to do what I explained in the beginning and it works!

This makes a lot of things so much easier for me. Cheerio!

BigFknRobots

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:51:03 pm »
Sweet, occurred to me I'll have to try the "different output channel" trick to solve feedback loop issues I have

Cool, I'll definitely be giving that a go - definitely makes things more convoluted

would really love more control over what gets forwarded and what doesn't!

barcsdad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2021, 02:01:25 am »
I'm having the loop issue with a new controller I just purchased (M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61). I guess I'm quite clear on "changing the in/out channels so they aren't the same" for the fix. If I could get some suggestions on what to set the input channels to, I'd appreciate it, and hopefully I can get it working!

My setup:

M-Audio midi OUT -> KSP midi IN
KSP midi OUT -> quadra thru box
quadra thru box -> microkorg (ch.2)
quadra thru box -> monologue (ch.3)
quadra thru box -> microfreak (ch.4)
quadra thru box -> model:samples(ch.10)

KSP settings:

Track1 input->
Track2 input->
Track3 input->
Track4 input->
Drum input->
Track1 output->
Track2 output->2
Track3 output->3
Track4 output->4
Drum output->10

barcsdad

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2021, 02:25:15 am »
Replying with a solution to my own reply here. Hopefully this will help someone else out. Turned out to be a weird one...

My loopback issue was apparently being caused by a USB cable I had plugged into my KSP. Now mind you, that USB cable wasn't plugged into anything on the other end, just into the KSP. I sometimes use it to plug into my phone, so I can trigger samples from the Koala sample app (which is pretty awesome) on my Galaxy. As soon as I unplugged that, the loopback stopped. And I've even got my channels set to the same thing for both in and out. Crazy.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines