March 28, 2024, 10:01:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Change or remove Captcha! It's insanely difficult  (Read 3675 times)

princent

• Apprentice
Change or remove Captcha! It's insanely difficult
« on: January 22, 2021, 09:36:04 am »
I mean, I have to try between 10 - 40 times before I get it right with the Captcha - it's enough with the two other security questions. Let's see if I can post this now...

Thanks!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Change or remove Captcha! It's insanely difficult
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 12:55:05 pm »
You'd think so but the spammers still manage it. Every day.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2021, 02:36:33 pm »
I have now created a sticky about this issue at the top of this forum. I know it won't fully alleviate users' frustrations; on many occasions I've been that new user poised to punch my computer screen trying count the number of lampposts in a blurry 3x3 square of images, but at least you know behind the scenes the issue is being looked at.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Netmammal

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 04:36:41 pm »
I agree, it took me 10 minutes to register.

If this is really a huge issue here. I think Arturia is trying to roll their own code on this.  Don't re-invent the wheel, use some one else's solution for this.  There are plenty of other forums with lots easier captchas and no spam problems whatsoever.

I think I have figured out that the captcha alway uses the same letter sequence for a given validation, just with a different image. I have not figured out whether it is case sensitive yet. If I am right, the bad guys will too, and any image recognition software will have an easy time hitting refresh three times and making its guess.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 04:54:50 pm »
There are plenty of other forums with lots easier captchas and no spam problems whatsoever.
Welcome to the forum. I have never admin'd or modded a forum with no spam problems whatsoever, yes there probably are forums out there with more suitable security controls in place than here, but also there will be a team of mods in the back-end hitting the delete and ban buttons quicker than most forum users are noticing. Also it depends on how high-profile the forum is.

pjl720906

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2021, 02:21:42 pm »
It took me 10 tries until I managed to post a message. How can anyone get a verification like the one attached correct? The only way to manage to get this right is to listen to the letters. If you are hearing impaired you are cut out. Having such an awful solution will result in a lot of people not posting at all. If you want a living community and open discussion you should definitively change this!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 02:27:37 pm by pjl720906 »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 01:37:28 pm »
I feel sorry for genuine users like yourself who are honestly struggling, but having just this minute deleted nearly 200 spam posts by just three newly registered users (probably bots...surely no human is actually sat somewhere spamming forums...if they are, it better pay well), I don't particularly want the posting process for new users made any easier. In fact if it was up to me, all posts from new users would have to be authorised by an admin or mod.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 02:26:42 pm »
Looks like despite your "state-of-the-art" forum technology lol the forum has just been spammed heavily today in the Website section... quite ironic  ;D
The people who complain the least about the forum security are the spammers whose posts are removed as quickly as Arturia mods and volunteers like myself can get to it.

PuterPro

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 04:23:05 pm »
Just a tip that may help with the Captcha (and other "hard to read" things we all run into on the web):

In all Browsers; Chrome, Firefox, Edge, whatever, you can hold the CTRL key and then hit + or - (I use the ones on the keypad on the right of most keyboards). This will zoom the screen bigger with Plus, and smaller with Minus. CTRL and Zero on the keypad resets to normal on MOST Browsers.

So just CTRL and + a couple times and it will be easily readable and CTRL and - back down when done. Easy-Peasey.

On MAC products it's the CMD key IIRR, so CMD + for bigger, CMD - for smaller.

FreMer

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2021, 09:13:48 am »
I mean, I have to try between 10 - 40 times before I get it right with the Captcha - it's enough with the two other security questions. Let's see if I can post this now...
Thanks!
I agree with you, was close to give up...I think Arturia should have a look at what others do, they're less in the "paranoia" ;D

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines