March 28, 2024, 12:19:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: MatrixBrute with Midi Solutions Quadra Thru - problems  (Read 2003 times)

Mallorn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
MatrixBrute with Midi Solutions Quadra Thru - problems
« on: January 17, 2021, 05:42:57 pm »
Hello :-)

I'd like to send clock from Matrix to different devices (TimeLine, Subharmonicon, Microbrute and Boomerang Looper) via midi out. Unfortunately, the best possible solutions does not work. While Matrix sends clock directly without any problem in chain (Matrix -> Timeline -> Looper -> Microbrute), it remains dead silent when plugged to Quadra Thru. I tried to find a clear explanation in Midi Solution's faq section, but there is statement, that Multi Voltage version should work properly with 5V or 3,3V Midi voltage. Have no idea what kind of midi voltage is in Matrix, but I should expect, that this simple splitter should work properly. Or no? :-)

Do you have any experience with Quadra Thru, or can you recommend other dawless solution for syncing synths with Matrix as a master clock?

Best regards
Pat

DrJustice

• Super Doc
  • Administrator
Re: MatrixBrute with Midi Solutions Quadra Thru - problems
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 09:18:56 pm »
MIDI powered thru boxes is an optimistic proposition, and although the Quadra works for most people, there are also some people have problems with it. MIDI is a current loop interface, and splitting the available current across several transmitters, possibly with both 3.3V and 5V interfaces in the mix, is asking for trouble. I'd get a powered thru box.

Mallorn

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:13:06 pm »
Thank You, DrJustice.

Sounds reasonable, I'll change the way of distributing the signal. Maybe CV routing would be better option. To find a decent unit capable of splitting clock, dividing etc.

Very best
:-)

Processaurus

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 10:10:26 am »
Yes, the unpowered midi boxes power themselves by abusing the input, by using it as bus power, makes it work or not work depending on how the midi out you’re connecting was designed.

You don’t have enough thrus on your chain to do it the classic way? People trip on using the midi thru for its intended purpose but if you are doing a small number in a chain it tends to work fine.

Wehner

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2021, 06:57:06 pm »
I was having an issue getting my Blackbox to stay in sync with the Deluge and was on the verge of selling it before I found this out.

My original midi signal flow was Deluge > Quadra Thru > Blackblox (as well as several other synths).

In addition to the Blackbox falling entirely out of sync, there was some noticeable latency between the Deluge sequencer and the arpeggiators on my Deepmind & Hydrasynth.

PayGOnline
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 06:20:02 pm by Wehner »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines