April 16, 2024, 08:08:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Pigments 2.2 : What the hell have you done Arturia?  (Read 2775 times)

wpostma

• Apprentice
Pigments 2.2 : What the hell have you done Arturia?
« on: January 08, 2021, 12:39:49 am »
Absolutely Nobody:  Pigments 2.0's preset browsing was trash.

Arturia:  Pigments 2.0's preset browsing was trash. Here's a whole new system.

New reality: Pigments 2.2's preset browsing is trash.

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the 2.2 Preset browser.  Probably it's good I didn't upgrade to the new VCollection yet, either, since Arturia has momentarily forgotten how to make software.

Where did the ability to click a heart (make a favorite go)?

What is this new Playlist feature? Clicking it the app things after you create a playlist that you have selected the bottom left most other menu item, (My Library > My Banks) and nothing at all happens if you create a Playlist. If you try to drag a preset to a Playlist nothing happens. If you try to drag a preset to the left side, nothing happens. One wonders why drag exists since you can't do anything with the drag and drop feature.  After five or ten minutes of trying, I saw a drag and drop operation almost succeed.  As I am a software developer, I can only suggest that Arturia's software developers get with it and fix the bugs in version 2.2's UI, it's garbage.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:51:37 am by wpostma »

wpostma

• Apprentice
Re: Pigments 2.2 : What the hell have you done Arturia?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 12:45:13 am »
In fact let's up that claim. the whole UI is trash.

1. See that black featureless square at the top left? That's where the main menu went.  Brilliant.

2. See the name of the synth? Pigments? Click that, nothing happens.  Even more brilliant.

3. Click here to open the new and disimproved preset browser.   Where did the favorite (heart) feature go? It's partially there (you can see your favorites previously selected, but where did the feature to select something and make it a favorite go?).  Where did the nice filtering and tag system go? Why replace it with a trash one? Why make everything a single color and have the UI become completely flat and featureless and basically unreadable? Did you mean to permit people to drag presets to the left side of the screen into the liked (favorite) or playlist sections?  that doesn't work.

There are mouse-down/mouse-up glitches, painting glitches galore. I am not even using a High DPI screen . This laptop is a bog standard Windows 10 machine with an old low dpi (96 dpi) screen. Maybe this was tested on high dpi systems but not tested on 96 dpi (classic scale) systems.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 12:55:24 am by wpostma »

marie_arturia

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 09:37:58 am »
Hi,
You actually have a bug on your interface, all the new icons we added for the vc8 don't appear.
I've attached the latest font to this post, you can try to copy it to C:\ProgramData\Arturia\Pigments\resources\fonts
If the problem persists, consider reinstalling Pigments, and contact the support so we can log the issue on our side. We have a similar issue logged : Loading a VC8 plugin after a VC7 instrument in Live makes some icons in the toolbar disappear, we might fix it in an upcoming hotfix (but I cannot guarantee anything)

As for the new browser being not in your taste, we made a lot of changes indeed and it's only the first iteration, we are aware that there is room for improvement and we are looking into it :)

Marie
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 09:43:59 am by marie_arturia »

Glas11

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:37:05 am »
As for the new browser being not in your taste, we made a lot of changes indeed and it's only the first iteration, we are aware that there is room for improvement and we are looking into it :)

Marie

Hi Marie,

The previous incarnation of the preset browser was very compact and had a lot onscreen at the same time. It was easy to see and do things because of the layout. Now I find that I spend much more time scrolling around and I can't easily see everything at the same time.

I think it would help if you removed (or even reduced the size of) the ICONS in Types. They use up far too much real estate and I don't think they add anything.

Also, in Banks, most of the labels don't appear and all have the same default icon apart from Factory and Pigments 2, although the labels do appear at other times in the browser, just not at first. I presume this is the bug referred to in the top post.

Just my 20p worth :)

wpostma

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 10:41:09 pm »
Hi Marie,

I tried the provided .ttf file. I note that it has the same md5 hash (thus indicating the SAME CONTENT) as the .ttf I already have. It is not that you shipped a bad file without QA'ing it, it's that the file you sent me is the same as the file already installed by the arturia software center.

Using powershell to do an md5sum operation, like this:

Get-FileHash C:\programdata\Arturia\Pigments\resources\fonts\Arturia.ttf

CB64035A3D3FF8CC3E07F6E060E139171438E58086799B8BEAB54557F8C5B217

Both your file provided above and the shipped file have the same MD5 sum and are the same file size (101,720 bytes). I am a professional software developer.  I'm a little dismayed to think that Arturia doesn't have QA people.

In case you do have QA people and the Pigments 2.2 installer does not have the above issues on ALL Windows 10 systems, let me be specific about Windows builds.

my DAW is Cubase 10 on Windows 10.  winver.exe reports Windows 10 build as version 1909, build 18363.1198
DxDiag info attached provides detailed video driver, and system information including all you might want to know about this Thinkpad E560 laptop (model code 20EV002JUS).

The laptop has dual graphics,  AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M370, and  Intel(R) HD Graphics 520 but I'm pretty sure Cubase and all plugins see it as an Intel HD Graphics 520.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 10:47:53 pm by wpostma »

marie_arturia

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 10:24:30 am »
Hi,
We do have QA, but we cannot reproduce your problem, and it is not related to the other problem logged on our side.
Please contact the support, so they can ask you more info and create a case we can follow.

Sorry for the inconvenience
Marie

studiocode

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 03:23:17 pm »
Hi,

I did not had the time to play with Pigment these last few weeks.

I open it up today and discover this new UI. I agree with the original poster, it's a big step back. The new preset browser is very bad. Way too much wasted space. The "heart" icon is barely visible when it's not selected. No drag-n-drop to My Library. "My Banks" only display huge icons, with no text.

Please, improve the UI or let us go to the previous version.

This new version is a big disappointment.

mharry

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 05:10:20 am »
After I updated a couple of the synths in my V collection and saw how terrible the new version was, I stopped all updating to protect the older versions, particularly of Pigments. Please take note of all these complaints Arturia.

Chabb

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2021, 03:36:42 am »
Faut admettre que cette nouvelle interface de navigation n'est pas terrible. C'est curieux chez les programmateur ce besoin de faire des innovations inutiles

mindphaser

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 11:42:33 pm »
Yeah, the new preset browser is overambitious trash!! Don't like it a bit! The old browser was absolutely ok for my taste.

stephenm

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 10:06:13 pm »
I'll add this - sorting by "TYPE" does not work.  Here's one result, top to bottom:
       Template, Bass, Template, Sequence, , ,Template, Drums, Strings, Bass

Also, some of the patches I created now have names that I definitely did not choose, like "Synth Organ", "Hard Lead", "Creative Brass" (?!?), "Classic Synth Keys".  These labels only make it more difficult to find a specific patch - "Now, was that Synth Brass or Creative Brass?" See what I mean?  I would have simply called it "Brass".

edit: Pigments 3 has corrected the TYPE sort problem.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 11:46:16 pm by stephenm »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines