April 16, 2024, 12:36:45 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keylab Essential 49 - getting it to recognize Logic DAW  (Read 9552 times)

jlanpheer

• Apprentice
Keylab Essential 49 - getting it to recognize Logic DAW
« on: January 06, 2021, 02:20:29 am »
Gosh, i hope the answer to this question is simpler than it was getting thru the bot system to create a Forum account!  Yikes!  >:(

Simple question, but can't seem to find the answer.  Logic Pro X is recognizing my keyboard.  However, when i choose Map Select->DAW, i would HOPE that pressing commands like 'Start' or 'Stop' would do just that in Logic.  However, instead they simply send MIDI notes to Logic and i hear a tone inside logic and no 'start' or 'stop' takes place.

Is there something that i can do to tell my keyboard that it's connected to Logic or do i need to create a User template for every single control on the keyboard?  This keyboard is advertised as working out of the box with all the major DAW's and this doesn't seem to be the case.... so far.

Can anyone please give me a pointer on how to get my Keylab 49 and Logic talking, at least on a basic level?
thanks!
jim.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

jlanpheer

• Apprentice
Re: Keylab Essential 49 - getting it to recognize Logic DAW
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:01:10 pm »
Welcome. Have you followed the instructions:

https://www.arturia.com/faq/keylabessential/keylab-essential-tips-tricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5UCFQ7YvKQ

Thanks for the welcome, looking forward to interacting and working with my new instrument!

Yes, i have followed the instructions on both the Arturia website and the YouTube video (they both pretty much say the same thing).

Logic IS recognizing my keyboard just fine.  However, the use of any control on my KeyLab49 is only sending MIDI note information.  Practically, i was expecting that if i entered 'DAW' mode that at least the transport controls on my keyboard would start/stop/record sessions in Logic, but pressing any of those keys only sends a MIDI note to Logic.

I bought this keyboard partly because the marketing for the product said that i could "easily connect to all of your favorite DAWs".  That's technically "true" so far, but having Logic recognize basic note information only is a pretty low bar.  I am hoping that there is a template that i can enable where all of the basic transport controls and the DAW Command Center buttons work straight away.  I'm fine with customizing the other controls as need be when that time comes.

So, now that i'm connected to Logic, how can i find and enable a template that will help me to get started?
thanks and cheers!

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 05:41:40 pm »
Have you tried enabling Mackie control in Logic? I do have Logic but I don't have a KLE.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

jlanpheer

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 12:58:29 am »
I did finally get it to work and thought i'd publish what i found worked for me to help those coming later.....

Just to wrap up on this for anyone coming along later, the right way to do it is:

1.  Add a new control surface (Logic Pro X->Control Surfaces->Setup) by clicking 'New'.  You will see a dialog box with a list of choices.  Do NOT choose 'Arturia/Keylab 49' (even though that is the intuitive choice.  Instead, choose Mackie Designs/Mackie Control/Logic Control.
2.  After you do this, you "should" see a dialog box to the left of the control surfaces you've set up.  If you do not, you need to go into Preferences->Advanced Tools and check the 'Control Surfaces' box.
3.  Choose Output Port option 'Arturia Keylab Essential 49 DAW Out'.
4.  Choose Input Port option 'Arturia Keylab Essential 49 DAW In'.

That should get you the basic transport controls usable on the keyboard.  From my experience, you'll mostly customize from there.  But, it's a good start at least!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines