March 28, 2024, 09:15:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Keystep 37 and CC learning with Arturia synths  (Read 3126 times)

francoise

Keystep 37 and CC learning with Arturia synths
« on: October 02, 2021, 12:02:58 am »
For those who, like me, may be new to K37, this is how to map K37 CCs to Arturia synths.

You have to be in bank mode (shift chord) and obviously in the midi input of the synth.

Assume you're in a K37 bank mode (eg. b1)
On the Arturia synth, click on The Parameters icon (wheel) next to Advanced.
click on the Midi tab
click on Learn

Case1: With Analog Lab, Pigment and some other synths, the macro knobs are obvious.
In learn mode, you click on the first synth macro, move slightly the first K37 knob, repeat for all macros.
Don't forget to save your Midi config.

Case 2: With Arturia synths that have macros at the bottom:
In learn mode, click on bottom macro (eg. Brightness), the Brightness parameter appears on the control list
move the first K37 knob slightly (change might not show in the control list)
repeat for all macros
Don't forget to save your Midi config.

With the organs (Vox, B3), the procedure is the same but since organ keyboards are mapped into different channels, you must repeat the procedure for each channel (different K37 banks or different Midi config files).

Case 3: In old Stage V piano (Stage V2 has macros), there are no macros, so you have to map the K37 knobs to the most useful parameters.

Hope it might be useful for someone.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:58:40 pm by francoise »

francoise

Re: Keystep 37 and CC learning with Arturia synths
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 03:03:22 pm »
Even if I save the K37 Midi Config settings, they get lost somehow at some time. ???
The only possible cause I see may be the interference with another midi controller. I use the Yamaha CP-33 as a midi controller along with the K37 and usually assign the CP-33 volume to the Arturia synth volume knob but it should not wipe out the K37 saved Midi Config.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:19:17 pm by francoise »

ARNK

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2021, 08:11:46 pm »
When I try to map my macro knobs in Pigments, only 3 and 4 work. 2 is mapped to the mid wheel & I have no idea what 1 is mapped to. All I know is I can’t override these settings.

Thanks for your post.

francoise

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 08:54:32 pm »
Sorry for the late answer, ARNK.
I just noticed your answer (nov. 17).

On the k37, you press Shift Chord to access a bank (let's say b1).

In Pigment, you click the wheel on the upper right corner, the MIDI tab.
In the midi config box below, you will be offered a default or generic config.
Let's use the empty config to start by scratch.
Then you click on the Learn button below the config box.
The Pigment controls will be purple (unassigned) or red (assigned to a cc#).
You click on the Macro 1 button.
In the list box below Learn, Macro1 will appear selected.
You turn the first knob slightly on the K37, the button will turn red. It is now assigned to the first K37 knob.
Idem for the other macros and K37 knobs.
Then don't forget to save the config renaming it as you wish (by default it's called User1).
Then leave the Learn mode.

I'm doing it anew as I write.
You may have to load the User1 or whatever config first on startup.
As I say, if you use another controller, Pigment may forget the previous config.
You probably can use the other banks to map other specific Pigment controls like Output or wavetable position though I haven't tried.

If it stil does not work, I hope Dr. Justice may help.

grrrzzzt

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 09:24:29 pm »
When I try to map my macro knobs in Pigments, only 3 and 4 work. 2 is mapped to the mid wheel & I have no idea what 1 is mapped to. All I know is I can’t override these settings.

Thanks for your post.

You need to remap the CC in the midi control center so it doesn't use 1 (32 doesn't work either as it's the LSB for 1)

winihh

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 07:56:38 am »

I tried to solve the same problem in the last days.

It is very easy:
1. Look up the generic mapping of the software-instrument. Look at used Midi-CC number for the knob/value you want to change in the software. For example filter cutoff is cc74 (cc71 for emphasis/resonance) - those are important for me.

2. Go to Midi-Control Software and assign for example knob 1 in bank 1 for the filter (Midi cc74) and knob 2 for resonance (Midi cc71)

Good thing: If the used software-synth has a filter function the same knob on Keystep will work throughout V-Collection for filter whenever there is a filter... (you will not find a filter with a Piano ;-) ) ...

Concerning to your taste choose additional functions, look them up and assign knobs within Midi Control Center Software.

Hint: cc91 and cc93 are assigned to effect-levels (dry/wet) with the classic-synths (Mini, Prophete ...)... this is my setup for the first 4 control-knobs of the Keystep 37.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines