March 28, 2024, 10:54:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drum track triggering the same notes on all my drum modules  (Read 2323 times)

roturk

• Apprentice
Drum track triggering the same notes on all my drum modules
« on: January 03, 2021, 09:05:50 am »
Greetings...First time poster and new user of the KSP...in drum mode on track 1, I'm unable to get individual drum sounds across the 24 lit keys...I have individual midi tracks assigned rather than using any default omni settings...this is true of any drum machine that I connect to the KSP (Analog Rytm, Digitakt and  Nord 3P) I'm sure I'm missing a basic setting but I'm unable to find it in the manual. Did a factory reset with no luck. Also tried midi monitoring on my  Mac Mini running Mojave which revealed that note information is registering correctly with each key stroke from the KSP. So I suspect it might be the midi settings in the modules however they're all set to receive data on the correct channels. Has me beat.  Please advise

Andrew Henderson

Re: Drum track triggering the same notes on all my drum modules
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 10:57:14 am »
Greetings...First time poster and new user of the KSP...in drum mode on track 1, I'm unable to get individual drum sounds across the 24 lit keys...I have individual midi tracks assigned rather than using any default omni settings...this is true of any drum machine that I connect to the KSP (Analog Rytm, Digitakt and  Nord 3P) I'm sure I'm missing a basic setting but I'm unable to find it in the manual. Did a factory reset with no luck. Also tried midi monitoring on my  Mac Mini running Mojave which revealed that note information is registering correctly with each key stroke from the KSP. So I suspect it might be the midi settings in the modules however they're all set to receive data on the correct channels. Has me beat.  Please advise

Hi there. The KSP drum track only has one midi channel, for all 24 tracks. There is no way to set different midi channels, for each of the tracks, so no matter what you program into each track, they are all set to the same midi channel.

If your drum machines are all set to receive on that same one channel, they will all trigger. You said you don't have omni mode enabled, bit that too will exhibit the behavior you are experiencing. if you have each drum machine set to its own mini Channel and separate from any other drum machines MIDI channel, the key step Pro should only be triggering the drum machine whose Channel matches that of the key step Pro.

roturk

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 11:22:37 am »
Thank you. I understand the process you've outlined as it should occur. What I don't understand is how each module when played on the KSP when I view them on you tube are playing separate different drum sounds on each of the keys pressed...which I'm unable to get in my set up...only the same drum sounds on any /all of the keys I play.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 06:58:25 pm »
Thank you. I understand the process you've outlined as it should occur. What I don't understand is how each module when played on the KSP when I view them on you tube are playing separate different drum sounds on each of the keys pressed...which I'm unable to get in my set up...only the same drum sounds on any /all of the keys I play.

I apologize for misunderstanding you and providing you, with the wrong info. 

Each track of the drum track, of the KSP, is assigned a different midi note value.  While drum machines can certainly vary, depending on which and the amount of sounds present, a lot follow the same layout, where midi note number 35 is kick, 38 is snare, 42 is HH etc.  What is likely happening is, your drum machines share (if not the same) midi note values for the triggers.  In the Midi Control Center software, you can create custom drum maps, to have the KSP tailored to a particular drum machine, based on it's midi note number.  Your drum machine hopefully has a midi implementation chart handy, where you can see which notes, trigger which sounds.  Create a custom drum map based on the drum machine of choice, or if you want to mix and match drum machines, assign the triggers accordingly, so that some tracks trigger one drum machine, while other tracks, another drum machine.  Any note values you don't need, assign a number that no drum machine will respond to, so there is no conflicts.  If you tailor the custom drum machine to a particular machine, based on its midi note implementation and have it assigned to a channel outside of the others, you should be fine.  Failing this, you likely won't be able to have all drum machines powered up simultaneously, especially if you don't plan on using them all, or will have to connect them differently, so they aren't all connected to the same midi port.

Hopefully in a future update, they will allow different midi channels to be assigned to each of the drum tracks, for even further customization, like they allowed on an update with the BSP.

I hope this helps.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 07:01:09 pm »
A read through this thread may come in handy too, when creating custom drum maps.  It will hopefully help you avoid a snag myself and others have noticed, when creating custom drum maps, where tracks share the same midi value.  Avoid doing this, to have a smoother experience.

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=102786.msg173730#msg173730

roturk

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 09:22:00 pm »
Thanks again. Tried the custom mapping process but no go...still getting the same note acreoss all of the 24 keys. When I change the pad sound on the device, I get that new sound across all 24 keys and so on...
Here's the custom map for the Analog Rytm as per the impementation chart for this devicde

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 10:08:28 pm »
Thanks again. Tried the custom mapping process but no go...still getting the same note acreoss all of the 24 keys. When I change the pad sound on the device, I get that new sound across all 24 keys and so on...
Here's the custom map for the Analog Rytm as per the impementation chart for this devicde

I don't see anything wrong per se, with your custom drum map (no conflicting/repeating notes).

I have a feeling the problem is not with the KSP, but on the receiving end, with the drum machine.  You are only using one drum machine right? You only have one hooked up and the problem is, all triggers, trigger only the one/same sound?  It sounds to me like the drum machine is setup strangely and not getting along, in some way.  It isn't able to discern the different notes being played and is only interpreting the one?

I have a TR-707, TR-09 and RD-6 in hardware, as well as samples in software and none of the above exhibit the above problem and never have.  Outside of the frustrations of the pickiness of setting up the custom drum map and the fact that all 24 tracks can only be assigned the same midi channel, it works.

I really wish I could be of more help, but I am lost now.

If you have more than one drum machine hooked up, are you actually going use them all?  Perhaps it would be best to only have the one and only drum machine hooked up, you are actually going to use and leave the rest, out of the equation (at least for now?).  Either that, or change their setup, to not be setup as a thru, from the same midi port?

roturk

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 10:58:40 pm »

I don't see anything wrong per se, with your custom drum map (no conflicting/repeating notes).

I have a feeling the problem is not with the KSP, but on the receiving end, with the drum machine.  You are only using one drum machine right? No I have a an Analog Rytm, Digitakt, and Nord 3P with a DR 202 on the wayYou only have one hooked up and the problem is, all triggers, trigger only the one/same sound?  No I have the KSP going out from both midi outs to 2 Qudra Thru boxes to accommodate all my gear...10 synths and drum machines It sounds to me like the drum machine is setup strangely and not getting along, in some way.  It isn't able to discern the different notes being played and is only interpreting the one?Yes that's correct...I have reset both the Analog Rytm and Digitakt on the off chance there were some ghost parameters set up that I wasn't picking up but still no joy after the resets

I have a TR-707, TR-09 and RD-6 in hardware, as well as samples in software and none of the above exhibit the above problem and never have.  Outside of the frustrations of the pickiness of setting up the custom drum map and the fact that all 24 tracks can only be assigned the same midi channel, it works.

I really wish I could be of more help, but I am lost now.

If you have more than one drum machine hooked up, are you actually going use them all?  Perhaps it would be best to only have the one and only drum machine hooked up, you are actually going to use and leave the rest, out of the equation (at least for now?).  Either that, or change their setup, to not be setup as a thru, from the same midi port?

marcel-x

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 10:36:17 am »
I remember, I tried to trigger a friend's Nord Drum with a BSP. I realize that was a different situation but it might shine a light into your situation.

We found out that the Nord Drum didn’t follow generic specifications. Where other drum modules where triggered by a note on/off event, the Nord expected only a note on event.

Perhaps you can inquire fora for your specific hardware and ask if they know what could be wrong?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:39:51 am by marcel-x »

roturk

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 11:05:49 am »
Have sent a request through...but no news as yet. Am aware of the nord 3P foibles but even with that in mind it still doesn't want to play along

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines