April 25, 2024, 10:24:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Route External Audio to carrier?  (Read 3474 times)

Zip oLeighter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
Route External Audio to carrier?
« on: August 14, 2021, 09:25:19 pm »
I am loving the new Vocoder, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to route external audio to the carrier.  I have no problem routing to the modulator (in Ableton).
Am I missing something or is this just not supported?

It seems to me that there should be two audio inputs selectable, one for the carrier and one for the modulator.

Also, is the modulator signal stereo or mono?

LBH

Re: Route External Audio to carrier?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 06:38:14 pm »
Hi,

Which soundcard and microphone input are you using?
Which OS?

Does'nt it work for you like described in the manual section "2.3.1. Stand-Alone Settings" and in the applications routing tutorial "Arturia Standalone"?

Also please read the manual section "3.1.1. Voice Input".

It work as standalone here using my external USB soundcard and using the same soundcards microphone inputs.

Zip oLeighter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2021, 05:16:31 am »
I have that set up, but that only allows choosing one mono or stereo input source, and it is for the Modulator. I have that working. (I have a Tascam USB-1800, has 8 mic and two line inputs.)
What I want is an external input to the carrier (replacing or mixing with the built in synthesizer).
An I missing something?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:19:00 pm by Zip oLeighter »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2021, 03:40:39 pm »
Did you read the manual sections i suggested?

The Voice input work as modulator.
The internal synth is the carrier.

This is how i understand it.

Zip oLeighter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2021, 06:22:07 pm »
Yes, I have read the manual front to back, and I went back and reviewed the section you noted.
That was actually helpful because I hadn't paid much attention to that section at first because I am using it as a plugin, but that does allow you to set the channel you are using for the modulator even when running as a plugin. It just happened to work for me because it defaults to 1 and that was the input I was using.

I don't want the synth to be the carrier - I want an external input for the carrier.  Separate from the one that I already have for the modulator.
I.E I want a talking guitar coming from external, not a talking synth...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 06:26:45 pm by Zip oLeighter »

LBH

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2021, 07:49:03 pm »
I want an external input for the carrier.  Separate from the one that I already have for the modulator.
Yes.
But what make you think, you have that possiblity with Vocoder V?

I don't use Live. May i ask, if it's possible to route multiple audio signals to multiple audio inputs in a single plugin in Live?

Zip oLeighter

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2021, 05:58:18 am »
So I take it that this is not possible then... I have used several hardware vocoders and only one, a korg, had an internal carrier generator. I kind of assumed that this would be possible with vocoder v.

I don’t see any reason that a plugin cannot offer two separate input connections to a host.Live would just present the plugin with the list of inputs, it would be up to the plugin to have two input signal paths. I’ll have to find out if there is a vocoder plugin that can have external modulator and carrier. As impressed as Iam with this one, this is a heartbreaking omission and I hope Arturia adds this capability.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 06:02:24 am by Zip oLeighter »

LBH

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2021, 05:42:34 pm »
So like me you can't find anything, that indicate Vovoder V have a carrier audio input.
You can suggest it to Arturia.

My question about Live was to get a verification of my assumption that instrument plugins does expose multiple audio inputs, and can send multiple audio signals through a single instance.
Daws is very different. Studio One can - at least at the time being - only send audio signals to effect plugins and not to instrument plugins, so it can't use the audio input in Vocoder V.

stephenm

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 11:21:15 am »
+1 on this idea Zip oLeighter (great name ha)!

This was the first question I had when I saw the internal synth being demonstrated - why can't I use a synth of my own choice?!?

And don't mind LBH's obtuse answers to your posts - he does that to everyone  ::).

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines