March 28, 2024, 10:39:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: audio cable recommendation  (Read 4516 times)

micha69

• Apprentice
audio cable recommendation
« on: December 19, 2020, 10:39:42 pm »
Hello,
got a cable problem. Manual says I should use a symmetric 6,35 monocable. Searched for it but only found symmetric stereo cables, not mono.
When I try it with an unsymmetric monocable the sound is pretty thin (-25db) in ableton. I use it with komplete audio 6, a monome a push and some rektor ensembles (...and I'm shure it will be big fun over christmas.)

So, what 6,35 audio cable do you use?

Thx
micha69

micha69

• Apprentice
Re: audio cable recommendation
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 05:05:52 pm »
First, Merry xmas to all :-)

Still no Answer to my (as I thought) easy question. Maybe it comes from the absolutely annoying verification or cause the forum is an unsave website (Hey Arturia, we've got https for some years now :-) or maybe the moderators like to be among themselves, which I really hope not. Maybe cause its Christmas :-)

Bought my microfreak a week ago. So Time is running a bit cause I have to send it back if the sound is still that bad. That comes from the 6.3mm audio connection Cable to komplete audio. Manual says I should use a symmetric 6,35 monocable. Searched for it but only found symmetric stereo cables, not mono.
So, should I use something like EBS PG-58 Flat Patch Cable Gold(Klinke 6,3mm TS (mono/unsymmetrisch) male) or EBS EBS PCF-DLS58 DLX Flat TRS (Klinke 6,3mm TRS (stereo/symmetrisch) male) or what else?
I've seen in the Forum that many others have a problem with this, too. So it would be really nice to get an Answer. And yes I'd really like to keep the Microfreak if the sound with 6,3mm is as good as over headphone.

Best Wishes from Germany

micha69

vinark

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 11:23:42 am »
EBS EBS PCF-DLS58 DLX Flat TRS (Klinke 6,3mm TRS
Mono symetrical is same as stereo unbalanced cable wise at least with trs plugs.
You could also if you have it use a headphones to audio cable. Here the headphones out sound 100% identical to the line out (with a stereo/balanced trs cable)

svebur

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 04:56:44 pm »

Hi, Micha.

Just got my Microfreak as well. Used a Cordial CTI 3 PP-RD from the Microfreak to my Mackie Mixer. Sound was like it should be.
https://www.thomann.de/de/cordial_cti3pp_rt.htm
Basically all mono cables like these should work when connected to a mono line input.
If the sound is bad...
- Maybe check if you can switch the input from INSTRUMENT to LINE?
- Maybe adjust the volume out on the Microfreak and the input levels on your Komplete Audio?

I had the MF's master volume at 50% and adjusted the levels on the mixer.

Hope this helps and happy new year!

Maybe it comes from the absolutely annoying verification ...

I know, right? It's a PITA.

night

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:15:34 pm »
Micha,

A balanced output has 3 connections: hot cold and ground.
if you connect a mono cable to a balanced output, the "cold" output wire will be shorted to ground. result: you have an unbalanced mono output (with only hot and ground). ->you can absolutely use any mono cable you have lying around.

Problems can only arise if you use a balanced output, a stereo cable and then an input that interprets the incoming signal as stereo. The two signals from a balanced output are phase shifted by 180°. aka they are mirror images of each other. (this is to eliminate noise picked up from the cable). So if you play these mirrored signals as "left track" and "right track" they will cancel out each other. (this is how noise cancelling headphones work). The same happens if you try to mixdown the "stereo" signal into mono.

The heaphone out is not a balanced output. It just gives out the same signal on the left and right channel, but these signals are in phase, while in the balanced output they are out of phase.

So you can use any mono cable and it will work. you can use a stereo cable with the headphone jack and it will work. if you use a stereo cable with the line output and your input isn`t also a balanced input: you get cancellation of your signal.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines