April 18, 2024, 02:54:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Sample stretching  (Read 3250 times)

balthazar

Sample stretching
« on: December 20, 2020, 12:07:17 pm »
Hi there,

First of all: Loving Pigments! My question is about the Sample engine. Specifically, when I upload a sample, obviously when I play the sample on higher notes, the higher frequency results in the sample playing faster (and vice versa for lower notes).

Is there something I can do to maintain speed of the sample across the notes? Something like Time Stretching or similar?

Thanks

Neon Breath

• Apprentice
Re: Sample stretching
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2020, 10:15:03 pm »
Hi!

You have to use the Granular engine for that, just under the sample window click on the Granular 'On' icon to activate it and you'll be able to play the sample at the same original speed at different pitch (Coarse), time stretch, etc.

balthazar

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 11:59:46 pm »
Thanks! The granular engine however does not do what I am looking for here. While awesome - it still inhibits me from playing a sample across different notes and getting same speed of playback of a sample. The only way around this (as far I can tell) is to use the Granular as an infinite loop so to speak, but then you change the sample completely - which is not what I want.

Not sure I am explaining myself well here, but in a nutshell if I load a sample and play at different notes the sample speeds up / slows down which is not what I want.

davew

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 08:52:12 am »
The workaround illustrated below should get you *close* to what you're looking for in the meantime, if I'm understanding you correctly. Use Function 1 to modulate the sample/grain start parameter. Set the granular limit to the lowest it will go, 3. Set the granular shape at something that allows each grain to play through at full amplitude. Start with density: sync at 1/16 and size: sync fully up and go from there. Adjust the rate of Function 1 to change the speed at which the sample plays.

For even more fun: By turning the granular engine's resonator on and turning the resonance up, you should be able to play chords with otherwise non-tonal samples, with the samples playing at the same speed but at different pitches across notes.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 09:55:06 am by davew »

Matthieu_Arturia

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 01:29:33 pm »
Hey balthazar!
I've logged a feature request to be able to pitch samples witthout changing the speed of the playback.
Hopefully it will be in a future update!
In the meantime you can try the workaround by davew, it works just fine !
Cheers!

QA Technician

Jason Botha

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 07:08:53 pm »
Good day. Just following up on the ability to use Pigments as an instrument for oneshots, much like Waves CR8 Sampler or Izotope Iris. I'd like to use Pigments for all my sound design and find that this is the only thing preventing me from doing so, since I have a lot of quality oneshots that I would like to layer with the other sound sources at the same pitch and speed when playing instruments.

dastewart

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 07:00:24 pm »
Hi, I'm relatively new to Pigments but was trying to use this to play (vocal) samples at different pitches to create a melody but was a bit surprised to find there's no option to keep the playback speed constant while changing the pitch.  I see that I'm not totally alone so was wondering if that feature request in August 21 was ever going to be fulfilled?

Great synth and not having this feature won't t change that fact but would be great if this could be added

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines