March 28, 2024, 09:23:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Analog Lab was better V4 (before)  (Read 6494 times)

Particle

• Apprentice
Analog Lab was better V4 (before)
« on: December 18, 2020, 08:50:00 pm »
I'm not thrilled about the layout of Analog Lab V. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it here?

I've emailed Arturia and have yet to get a response. Here's what I wrote:

"I recently purchased the upgrade to the V Collection 8 and am very happy with a few of the new synths. I do not however like the new interface of Analog Lab V. It's too clunky and takes forever to navigate. It's predecessor had everything nicely laid out on the left hand side for quick accessibility.

My first question is how then does one simply add the new synths including the two new upgraded ones to Analog Lab 4? Only the OB-Xa is visible to select. (Actually the PatchWorks presets appear too.)

My second question is is it also possible to otherwise select something like 'classic mode' in Analog Lab V to appear more like Lab 4? Once you've made a selection in the middle of the screen there isn't always a back button to return to where you just were and it becomes disorientating trying to navigate back.

Thanks."

What I liked about Lab 4 was the Presets alwayed remained visible  in the center of the screen and all the categories were constant down the left side. Now with V you press Home to see the same catagories now spread over a larger and less convenient area. Now you must click the tiny arrow left and right to see only 6 instruments at a time. It doesn't take very long but much longer than before.

The icons are nice but take up much more space. Am I alone in thinking this way or does anyone else feel this way too?

Also I really would like to know how to add the latest synths to Lab 4. Anyone know how to make this happen?

Cheers

N้stor

• Apprentice
Re: Analog Lab was better V4 (before)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2020, 11:57:29 pm »
Yes, I agree. I like the Analog Lab 4 interface more, for the same reasons. Having the presets at the center of the screen always it's quite efficient, but I like having all the tags visible (like in the new one). The option of choosing "classic mode" seems nice to me, but maybe having the "goodies" of each one would be even better...

What I'd like to see in the next Analog Lab is the combination of both Prophets (5VS) as an instrument option (for filtering presets). If you are looking for a preset that uses this configuration, you cannot search by instrument: it's Prophet 5 or Prophet VS, but not the combination (this happens also in the Prophet V instrument).

Particle

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2020, 02:19:32 am »
They replied no you can't.

It gets better:

"This is all bad news, what a shame.

Also I was able to find individual icons for each synth buried in resources folders, but they are the newer icons. Looks like the update also erased the older better versions and I would like them back. Do I have to go to the insane lengths of erasing all of the Arturia synth programs and just redownload V collection 7 to get them back? Will this even work or did you guys delete them from your database as well replacing them with the letter-only newer artwork?

I've included a pic from your website but it is very low quality of all logos together.

Please advise best way to retrieve the pics that were on my hard drive that I did not give permission to erase."

Anyone know how to retrieve the old logos previously on our hard drives? Even when I go to Arturia Software Center it looks like the artwork has changed even for V Collection 7. If anyone still has 7 can you grab the older logos and make them available here or online somewhere? They were originally in a folder titled images.

Fun Fact: the logo for the word 'Anarchy' is an 'A' with a line through it. Go figure

Edit: Thanks for Private Messaging me poster. Turns out the pics are there, just buried away and in a different folder.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 08:44:27 am by Particle »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 11:00:30 am »
Please advise best way to retrieve the pics that were on my hard drive that I did not give permission to erase.
Intellectual property doesn't work like that lol. They can change their instrument icons any time they choose, and when you voluntarily updated you inherently agreed to have the old icons replaced on your computer with the new ones, they did not violate your privacy.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

mimo

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2020, 01:08:31 pm »
I'm not thrilled about the layout of Analog Lab V. Just curious if anyone else has any thoughts on it here?

I've emailed Arturia and have yet to get a response. Here's what I wrote:

"I recently purchased the upgrade to the V Collection 8 and am very happy with a few of the new synths. I do not however like the new interface of Analog Lab V. It's too clunky and takes forever to navigate. It's predecessor had everything nicely laid out on the left hand side for quick accessibility.

My first question is how then does one simply add the new synths including the two new upgraded ones to Analog Lab 4? Only the OB-Xa is visible to select. (Actually the PatchWorks presets appear too.)

My second question is is it also possible to otherwise select something like 'classic mode' in Analog Lab V to appear more like Lab 4? Once you've made a selection in the middle of the screen there isn't always a back button to return to where you just were and it becomes disorientating trying to navigate back.

Thanks."

What I liked about Lab 4 was the Presets alwayed remained visible  in the center of the screen and all the categories were constant down the left side. Now with V you press Home to see the same catagories now spread over a larger and less convenient area. Now you must click the tiny arrow left and right to see only 6 instruments at a time. It doesn't take very long but much longer than before.

The icons are nice but take up much more space. Am I alone in thinking this way or does anyone else feel this way too?

Also I really would like to know how to add the latest synths to Lab 4. Anyone know how to make this happen?

Cheers

i do agree!

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 09:15:58 pm »
Yeah. They really pooched it with this new version. Analog Lab 4 both loaded presets faster -- particularly when changing instrument -- and was easier to browse and use.
The new browser sucks so bad!! And the "updates" to prior V Collection instrument (I have V6) apparently replace the browser in those with this new utterly horrible one. As such, I will never ever ever be updating those products again. In the past, we continued to get bug fixes and some updates for past products. Now I guess that era is over.
In fact, Analog Lab V sucks so bad I'm going to uninstall it.
Arturia is really going downhill. Grubbing for money, screwing up software ... support has always sucked. Sad. I am unlikely now to ever buy any Arturia products ever again. I used to staunchly defend them, but no more.  :'(
It's possible that if I'm offered a super good deal on Pigments, like $50usd, I might pick it up.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 09:18:35 pm by artao »
This space left intentionally blank.

e13lad

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 12:34:12 pm »
I also upgraded from V7 collection to V8 and I really hate the new version of Analog Lab. It is really slow compared to V4 and much harder to navigate. Searching is not as easy either
I don't think it's simply a case of getting used to it because it is a new layout.

SigmundFloyd

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2020, 03:48:01 pm »
I agree! I prefer working with version 4 and it also has better integration with Keylab 61 mk2. The 4 macros on Analog V is a let down.

Italophile

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2020, 11:19:22 pm »
Worst. Update. Ever.

fredmant

• Apprentice
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 10:11:42 pm »
The first and default option when you load Analog Labs V presents the home page with the humungous icons. If you don't like that, you can click the "Explore" option right under home on the left side bar menu.

In the Explore mode, you have drop down boxes for Instruments, Types, Styles, Banks and Designers.

Looking for your custom presets? I stored my presets using what I started with and my initials. I use search bar to find everything with my initials. AFter that, if you click "designer" a sixth choice will appear directly to the right of "designer" that says how many are FGM presets. Had to use my middle initial otherwise, I would always find "frequency modulation" tags haha. Click it and you get your full list.

If you're only interested in your presets that use say the Stage 73, then you can use the Types filter in addition to get to it quickly. The types drop down won't show instruments from Arturia which you never used as that particular designer.

It seems powerful for searching, but I'm just getting the hang of it. So far,I like the new "A1" interface better.

I will say, I am having a hard time trying to use the sliders on my Deepmind 12 synth to control the Arturia Juno, but that's a challenge for another day  . . . .

fGm
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 10:19:32 pm by fredmant »

Pierre Arturia

• Apprentice
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 01:51:45 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, we realise the new browser can be disorienting for AL4 users, and we are facing performance issues due to the increasing number of presets and the increasing number of instruments in V Collection.
We are working on both subjects to make sure all AL4 users transition to ALV. To make AL4 as fast as it is took a lot of time and iterations. With ALV we give it a fresh start to make it more welcoming to new users but we need to make sure it is also a step up for previous users.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 02:26:46 pm »
Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the look and feel of ALV.
Shame about the genocide you committed on the number presets available to users not in possession of V Collection: down from >6500 to ~2000. Though I can see why you did it. Actually I'm surprised you didn't do it sooner. It took you about four years to suss that you were haemorrhaging V Collection sales to people who quickly realised they need only buy Analog Lab to gain access to all of V Collection's presets in one convenient app at half the price.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

marie_arturia

• Global Moderator
  • Apprentice
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 01:34:12 pm »
Hi,
To clarify your last comment @MajorFubar, if you activate your AL4 licence you'll see all AL4+ALV presets in ALV. There was a bug when we first released ALV that prevented to access them (you had to have a VCollection license). This has been fixed in the first ALV hotfix !

Italophile

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 04:00:06 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, we realise the new browser can be disorienting for AL4 users, and we are facing performance issues due to the increasing number of presets and the increasing number of instruments in V Collection.
We are working on both subjects to make sure all AL4 users transition to ALV. To make AL4 as fast as it is took a lot of time and iterations. With ALV we give it a fresh start to make it more welcoming to new users but we need to make sure it is also a step up for previous users.

Although I don't love the browser I can live with it. I do like the Explore page and would like it even more if I could set it as the default view rather than the Home page. I also like that the dark colour scheme has been carried through to the controls area.

As a Keylab MkII user what I see as the biggest step backwards is the change to the default parameter mapping. Whilst I appreciate that I can change the parameters for a specific preset I don't want to have to work through every preset in my library just to get sensible mapping, that will then undoubtedly get overwritten at the next update.

Given that knobs 5-8 on the Keylab are labelled Param 1 to Param 4 surely these would have been the ideal ones to map to the 4 new Macro parameters?

Or is Arturia going to provide new overlays free of charge?

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2021, 08:55:38 am »
Hi,
To clarify your last comment @MajorFubar, if you activate your AL4 licence you'll see all AL4+ALV presets in ALV. There was a bug when we first released ALV that prevented to access them (you had to have a VCollection license). This has been fixed in the first ALV hotfix !
Yes, I had realised that's why you haven't replaced AL4 with AL5 for existing users, so they can still access all their AL4 presets.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines