March 29, 2024, 03:22:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: No More Updates For Loyal Customers? LAME  (Read 6333 times)

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
No More Updates For Loyal Customers? LAME
« on: December 16, 2020, 04:58:28 am »
Seriously, Arturia?
After updating Jupiter 8 ever since the earliest days of V Collection, you now want your loyal customers to pay to get the new version of Jup 8? That's pretty sucky and lame. Seriously. What gives?
New engine? So what? It's one synth out of the multitude in your V Collection. So why the money grubbing?
How long before you do this with ALL the synths in V Collection, eh?
Very uncool. VERY.  ??? :( >:(
This space left intentionally blank.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: No More Updates For Loyal Customers? LAME
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 01:22:41 pm »
Why do you think you should get infinite updates to apps for free? If you buy a new car, or a fridge, or a TV, when they substantially improve the technology do you expect them to keep giving you a new one at no cost to you? If not, why do you expect it for apps?

Personally I'd happily pay to have some of their older VSTs updated, prime example being the CS80V which sounds substandard compared to their main competitor's equivalent. But your attitude is the reason why on the whole Arturia and other developers have no motivation to update their products as often as they maybe could, because you guys feel you shouldn't have to pay for the effort it takes.

This is not being a 'loyal customer', it's being a parasite.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 12:08:13 am »
Oh please. They've been updating their instruments every single release of a new V Collection since the very beginning. And they're HARDLY hurting for money. With their hardware in particular, I'm sure they're WELL in the black. This is money grubbing, pure and simple.
Customers have long been upset about their upgrade prices, and rightly so. People have repeatedly pointed out that new customers get a better deal than long standing customers.
And not only have they pulled updating Jup-8 for prior customers, a synth that has been in there since the beginning, but also Stage 73, which is virtually brand new.
This is not cool. This is a slap in the face to long standing customers. Soon enough we will be forced to pay 300 freakin bucks to have merely updated instruments.
Consider how much money you've shelled out to Arturia for all these upgrades/updates over the years at 200 to 300 a pop. Over $1000 yet? Probably more.
And then there's the people who bought V Collection 7 "on sale," only to find out a week later than V Collection 8 is released. And they CONSTANTLY pull this shit. Again: New customers get a better deal than long standing customers. Every freakin time.

EDIT: OH! And if I wanted to get JUST the updated Jup-8, there is no discount. It's full price, period. That is also a load of crap.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 12:12:17 am by artao »

artao

• Voxonitus Soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 10:12:47 pm »
While I'm still saddened that prior owners will no longer get updates, I apologize for my .... agressiveness. It was a shitty week in a shitty year. But then, we've pretty much all had a shitty year.
Not liking the new preset browser system at all in Analog Lab V. Enough so that I uninstalled it. I'll stick with version 4. In fact, I discovered that I cannot access my version of Jup-8 from Analog Lab V. It will only open the new version of it, even if I check the box to include presets from previous versions.
And seeing as updates to prior V Collection instruments are simply switching over to the new system, I won't be updating them anymore either.

Let's hope we all have a better 2021. Happy holidays. <3
« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 10:15:57 pm by artao »

djerzinski

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 08:41:40 am »
@artao
I completely agree with you on this. Leaving loyal past customers behind with the update makes no sense and leave a bad taste in the mouth. The only reason they are doing this is to twist our arm so we update to the new version (sorry, I don't run a professional studio, I can't give away 300 € anytime I want, especially not in such an uncertain time).
It's totally understandable that new softsynths should be paid, but this, I can't accept.

fenderchris

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2020, 12:32:40 pm »

OH! And if I wanted to get JUST the updated Jup-8, there is no discount. It's full price, period. That is also a load of crap.

Well I just logged in and bought JUP-8 V4 for 29 euros.  They made a big mistake not including the dual/split features in the new version, but I now have the old V7 Collection version and the latest version on my system.
Windows-11, 64gb ram, Nuendo 11.0.41, V7 Collection, Pigments, OB-Xa, CS-80 V4.

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 10:55:20 am »
Hello.
I will answer this question.
The new Jup-8 V4 is not an update, it's a brand new product made from scratch.
It's a new code architecture, new DSP/audio engine, new feature set, new 3D and advanced panel interface, new presets.
This means that not a single bit of code remains from the previous version, this is a true full project, with all the costs involved.

Instead of costing 200€, it costs 29€ for the Jup-8 V3 owner, which is a fair deal for a brand new product.
If you don't feel that it is a good deal, sorry for this, but from my point of view, the Jup-8 V4 sounds  amazing and worth way more than 29€.

Kind regards

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 01:26:54 pm »
Hi Edouard

You really shouldn't have to come on here to justify your employer's marketing decisions, but thanks for doing it anyway.
Personally I'm hoping you also revisit some of your other older VSTs, like the CS80, which would benefit from a reboot to make it sound more like a real CS80, particularly the ring modulator and the standard panel presets. If and when the update arrives, I'll be happy to pay a reasonable amount to compensate the developers' time.

But your developers might see threads like this and think meh why should we even bother...  ::)

Some hypocrites seem to expect a lifetime of free upgrades while in their personal life they presumably have a paid job...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:21:59 pm by MajorFubar »
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 02:35:17 pm »
Hello Major.

It makes sense to expect updates, and to wonder "why do I need to pay".
I'm happy to answer the question and hope these reasons can be understood.

But your developers might see threads like this and think meh why should we even bother...  ::)
Sometimes its frustrating because it's a lot of efforts and it's easy to look at the bad side of things, but eventually people are more focused on the sound, and they seem very happy.
This is what makes us happy ! Because this is the fruit of our efforts  :)

Personally I'm hoping you also revisit some of your other older VSTs, like the CS80, which would benefit from a reboot to make it sound more like a real CS80, particularly the ring modulator and the standard panel presets. If and when the update arrives, I'll be happy to pay a reasonable amount to compensate the developers' time.
This is in our roadmap, I started a V Collection survey this week, a question asks "which instruments would you most like us to update".
I have no doubt CS80 will stand close from the top of the list.

Take care, and have a nice week-end.

Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 09:59:11 pm »
Thanks Edouard, you too. If and when the CS80 gets a rebuild I'll gladly be near the top of the queue to pay for an update.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines