March 28, 2024, 01:15:21 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Stereo LFOs are missing (exists in real Jupiter 8)  (Read 1747 times)

carpetsquare

• Apprentice
Stereo LFOs are missing (exists in real Jupiter 8)
« on: January 10, 2022, 07:31:39 am »
It seems that the Jup-8 V4 does not implement stereo LFO panning like on an actual unit.

Clearly audible and demonstrated in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro9bSmtzYC8&t=454s

If you listen with headphones at this point in the video, you can clearly hear the amplitude pan from left. If I create a similar patch with Jup-8 V4, the LFO does not pan. V4 did introduce unison stereo spread, which is a nice improvement from the V3, but it doesn't implement stereo LFO panning.

It seems like it would be a relatively  easy thing to implement compared to other features like the new LFO editor - was this just an oversight? Or was this intentionally omitted? Or is there a way I can't see to get this to happen? I can't see any mention of it in the user manual. The only mention of stereo is with regard to stereo FX like delay and chorus, not as part of the synth engine. This is really cool and unique feature of the Jupiter-8 that differentiates it from other synths like the Prophet, so I was a bit dissapointed it's not implemented, and quite honestly it's stopping me from want to upgrade my Jup-8 V3.

carpetsquare

• Apprentice
Re: Stereo LFOs are missing (exists in real Jupiter 8)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 07:37:31 am »
There's more details on how this works in the highlighted youtube commment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro9bSmtzYC8&lc=UgwJiiLDNLcnSZtiM9d4AaABAg

LBH

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 08:34:01 pm »
Hi,

EDIT:
Perhaps i should add, that i do hear the dividing in L and R in the video is more clear, than when using the PAN SPREAD in JUP-8. That's absolutely nice. And done in a simple way. I will second a knob to get that effect anyway.
EDIT END

What do you hear in the video you have posted?
Have you found more info about it?

To me it does'nt sound like the LFO make a pan effect as such. I', not sure it go around in stereo like a ping pong pan like effect. Some times i do get that feeling though. It also sound like you get a L-R stereo effect with the same LFO in L and R. Some of the total effect is perhaps caused by voices that's not in tune and jave a chorus effect.

If you use the PAN SPREAD in JUP-8 V4, you get a L-R feeling. Not the same. Different Dispersion settings also have an impact on the result.
In addition you have the Stereo Pan effect in the Effect section. And a Chorus that might help.

I can't see anything about a speciel feature for LFO in UNISON mode in the original Jupiter hardware manual.
In Unison mode the original LFO in theory is in the same phase for all voices.

Am i missing something?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:40:48 pm by LBH »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 06:31:04 pm »
I just looked at some comments for the video.

In one comment one say the Unison mode took use of the 2 LFOs Jupiter really had. (It could play 2 sounds.). The LFOs was in unison mode slightly out of sync and that gave it the huge L-R difference.

That could explain the wider sound.

It would be great, if Arturias version could assign ie could assign LFO 2 and 3 to the left and right output. And if there was an option to have the LFO 1 to work in dual mode with one LFO for the L and one for the R output.
If possible - then why not?

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines