March 28, 2024, 05:01:34 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Arturia MiniLab Mk II - Unable to Update Firmware (Device is not Recognized)  (Read 12580 times)

NextDAW

• Apprentice
I have been unable to update the firmware of my Arturia MiniLab MK II - which I have recently purchased.

I have checked the troubleshooter FAQ regarding firmware errors on the main Arturia website, but it did not help me.

Here's the steps I have been taking when attempting to update the firmware:

- Step 1. Turn on PC (running Windows 7 (Home Premium) 64-bit.

Once windows boots and logs in to desktop...

- Step 2. Plug MiniLab mkII into my desktop PC's main USB port (no external USB Hubs attached).

- Step 3. Launch 'MIDI Control Center'

I am then presented with an Error prompt: "Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application."

However, there are no other applications running in Windows 7. Only 'MIDI Control Center'

- Step 4. Press 'OK' on error prompt.

I am then presented with another prompt: "Update Available - A new firmware update (1.0.9) is available for your MiniLab mkII. Do you want to install it now? This update adds important features and contains bugfixes.

- Step 5. Press 'Install' on prompt.

Next prompt appears: "Download Successful. Entering Firmware Upgrade Mode - Please unplug the device, then plug it again. Click 'OK' when ready, or 'Cancel' to abort the firmware update.

- Step 6. I do as instructed, unplug MiniLab MkII from USB and plug it back in, then click 'Ok'

New prompt appears: "Download Successful. Entering Firmware Upgrade Mode - The device is not recognized. If the device is connected to a USB HUB, please unplug/plug the HUB, then press OK.

... I checked the advice regarding firmware errors on the troubleshooter FAQ, they suggest 'Remove Device' under 'Devices and Printers' - However, I am not presented with that option. Moreover,  my 'Arturia MiniLab mkII' does not appear under the 'Devices' section there, but under the 'Unspecified' section, instead.

When I 'right-click' on it, I am not presented with an option to 'Remove Device' as advised in the FAQ (perhaps because it is listed under 'Unspecified' rather than 'Devices', or due to differences between Windows 10 and Windows 7?)

Also, no current/existing firmware version is displaying in  'MIDI Control Center'

Can anyone help or advise me on how I might resolve this issue, please? The firmware update notes on the site mention quite a few features I would like to take advantage of, so I'd really like to update the firmware ASAP.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:15:11 pm by NextDAW »

Ruthless1212

Bro I have identical issue, I'm 2 minutes from smashing this thing through a window! I literally bought it today and can't get a damn thing to work going by the book.  Let me know if you find anything out but I have same problem on PC. will call them tomorrow.  beyond frustrating

NextDAW

• Apprentice
Will do mate.

But unfortunately, the only response I've received so far is from yourself (someone else, who is suffering with this same exact issue).  :'(

Hopefully, someone from Arturia, or another kind user with knowledge of this problem, can come to our rescue and offer a solution. [fingers-crossed].  :)

NextDAW

• Apprentice
Some additional details:

I'll just also mention that the version of 'Midi Control Center' I am currently using is:

version 1.12.1.33
Build 33 Revision: cc24c504
Build date: Oct 7 2020 13.54.29

When I click on the 'Firmware Revision:' button in Midi Control Center, I get the message 'MiniLab mkII - Could not get firmware revision.'

However, after reviewing all this evidence myself, I have a sneaky feeling the root cause could perhaps be related to how my 'MiniLab MK II' is  not being categorized under Windows' 'Devices' but under 'Unspecified' instead?

(I don't really understand what that means, but perhaps someone else does?)

Perhaps, that's why Midi Control Center keeps telling me that 'The device is not recognized?' and 'Failed to open the device?'

Although that does seem to contradict the fact that Midi Control Center DOES correctly identify the model as 'MiniLab mkII' under its 'Device' tab as 'Connected'

Additionally, the MiniLab mkII device itself DOES actually work inside my DAW (FL Studio, current version). i.e. all the MIDI keys and buttons are working for me in FL Studio.

Although, my device is clearly on 'some unknown' earlier firmware revision, since I currently have the 'blinking-lights' when Octave Up/Down are pressed issue.

Hopefully, with all these additional details, someone can help crack the code ;p

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
This may or may not be related to your issue, but:
PC (running Windows 7 (Home Premium) 64-bit.
What? Really? In nearly 2021?
Maybe you would have better luck if you updated to a more recent OS. On the other hand it might be completely unrelated, but if you raise a ticket through Arturia that something isn't working in Windows 7, the first thing they're going to tell you to do is update to a newer OS then try again.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

NextDAW

• Apprentice
This may or may not be related to your issue, but:
PC (running Windows 7 (Home Premium) 64-bit.
What? Really? In nearly 2021?
Maybe you would have better luck if you updated to a more recent OS. On the other hand it might be completely unrelated, but if you raise a ticket through Arturia that something isn't working in Windows 7, the first thing they're going to tell you to do is update to a newer OS then try again.

Well, that has not been established as the root cause yet, has it? That's assuming this is exclusively a Windows 7 issue, which has not yet been ascertained.

Another user replied previously stating they had an identical issue on Windows, although they never specified which version of Windows they were using. If it was Windows 10, then that would probably negate that theory.

But even if it is a Windows version-related issue, does not automatically mean there is absolutely no work-around except to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater,' changing OS versions type of situation. Not quite yet, anyway.

Also, I'm amazed that you are in amazement that a 'musician' (of all types of people) would still be running Windows 7 in (not quite 2021 yet.) That shocks you? I mean, are you actually being serious?

LOL! Of ALL the types of various PC users 'musicians' specifically are absolutely the MOST likely to still be running  Windows 7 for their home studios, than pretty much ANY other demographic I am aware of.
Microsoft only stopped their official support less than a year ago. So what about users of machines that rarely if ever go online (such as a large majority of musicians' studio PCs?)

Surely, you visit other music forums and are aware that there are countless musicians always stating how they still use Windows 7 as their main studio PCs, due to the rock steady reliability of the stable Windows 7 OS (which as with most studio computers, is generally kept offline 99.9% of the time, largely negating 'security support' issues), without need for constant unwanted forced updates (Windows 10) which often 'break things' (if it ain't broke, don't let Windows 10 'fix' it).

Most musicians I know, purposely don't run even antivirus on their '99.9% of the time' offline systems, due to the detrimental effects upon performance, AV software can sometimes elicit. Not myself, my PC is decently powered, so I don't go as far as dropping AV entirely. But yeah, you're amazed.  Okay then 8)

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Also, I'm amazed that you are in amazement that a 'musician' (of all types of people) would still be running Windows 7 in (not quite 2021 yet.) That shocks you? I mean, are you actually being serious?
Admittedly we're going off at a tangent because I don't think your problem is wholly OS related...
But in a word, yes. On the one hand you're on a forum complaining that a modern app doesn't work properly, but your computer OS is obsolete and has been officially unsupported for nearly a year. Fair enough that may not be the reason here (better minds than mine will know), but it's still relevant. Why? Because it's unreasonable that app and hardware developers like Arturia should be expected to continually update their products while at the same time retaining compatibility with obsolete OS's. Of course none of that matters if the apps and kit in use on your 'never online' collectors-item PCs are equally as old, but you're expecting modern apps and hardware to work just fine. When are the developers going to be allowed to call time on you? Ten years ago when Windows 7 was current, it would be the equivalent of complaining that something you just bought wasn't running properly in Windows 98.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

NextDAW

• Apprentice
Admittedly we're going off at a tangent because I don't think your problem is wholly OS related...
But in a word, yes. On the one hand you're on a forum complaining that a modern app doesn't work properly, but your computer OS is obsolete and has been officially unsupported for nearly a year.

I have not 'complained.'' I have requested technical assistance (there is a difference). I'm here simply because I have encountered a technical issue with my Arturia product and so created a post regarding that technical issue, in the hope of finding a solution.

My OS: Yes, I am well aware of this as a 'potential' factor. This is why I specifically referenced my OS several times in my original post and even mentioned it as a possible factor regarding the issue and any differences between Windows 7 and Windows 10, such as in my Device Manager screen print (Note: 'possible,' not 'definitive,' nor 'root cause' as you seem to assume).

Because it's unreasonable that app and hardware developers like Arturia should be expected to continually update their products while at the same time retaining compatibility with obsolete OS's.

I don't know where you're getting that from. No one has ever asked or expected them to, certainly not myself. I simply mentioned what OS I was running, as a point of fact, along with other technical details and specifications available to me, to then inform somebody who possesses more technical knowledge than myself (and apparently, yourself) to hopefully ascertain the root cause of the issue.

Obviously, ever since Microsoft ceased their official support for W7 at the beginning of the year, pretty much all software developers have followed suit (this I already knew). But, just because a company no longer 'officially supports' a previous OS version, does not mean their new software updates will not work with Windows 7.

For example, are you aware that despite it not being 'officially supported', the brand new 'Arturia V Collection 8' is actually fully compatible with and works like a dream on Windows 7? (as does Pigments.) No, I bet you didn't know that, certainly from the way you're talking you didn't.

I also have dozens of other professional audio software (all fully working and currently up-to-date) to attest to that. In fact, 'IF' (emphasis on 'if') the root cause for the topical issue, does turn out to be the OS, then this will actual be the very first to have elicited any comparability issues with Windows 7 whatsoever, thus far.

Of course none of that matters if the apps and kit in use on your 'never online' collectors-item PCs are equally as old, but you're expecting modern apps and hardware to work just fine. When are the developers going to be allowed to call time on you? Ten years ago when Windows 7 was current, it would be the equivalent of complaining that something you just bought wasn't running properly in Windows 98.

Again, when did I complain? This is a technical report and request for assistance on a manufacturer's professional forum. There's a big difference between the two (I should know, I work professionally in an senior Ombudsman complaint department.)

Also, you'll forgive me for pointing out that your hitherto condescending tone towards my personal equipment (referring to my Windows 7 machine as a 'collectors-item PC', etc.) is not really conducive in helping me (or anyone else with a similar issue) in to finding a solution. Neither, have I found your contributions to be very helpful, which is the very reason I am here.

I would really like to get this thread back on track ASAP regarding my (and according to the first respondent, also other customers') outstanding technical issues.

Please, if you can't (or won't) help, beyond your unsubstantiated conclusion regarding the root cause for the technical error (which you have stated several times now, when not also berating me for running an older operating system on my predominantly offline PC.) Then, can I please thank you for the time you have expended and ask you to kindly vacate this thread, to shift the focus back on track, and allow others that may be able to offer more practical assistance in resolving this matter, to do so?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 09:02:37 pm by NextDAW »

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
I totally hear you that it's usually not a great idea to be on the bleeding edge of OS updates when you're relying on both the stability of your machine and its compatibility with third-party apps. Let the impetuous trailblazers take the bullets. But Windows 7 is now a 10+ year old operating system out of date by two major releases, and bugs are no longer being patched.
...unsubstantiated conclusion regarding the root cause for the technical error...
I really don't think I could have made it any more plain that I wasn't solely blaming Windows 7, nor did I cite it as the 'root cause'. Feel free to quote me anywhere where I said it was...but you can't, because you've already quoted the part of my reply where I said it probably isn't. My point is, for all I know (and for all you know) this issue could be related to a problem that's since been patched in a Win8 or Win10 update. You surely knew exactly the angle I was coming from, you just chose to be professionally offended.

Good luck getting it sorted, regardless of the cause. No hard feelings...life's too short for that. There are many technically-adept minds on here who will help you. But like I said in my first reply to you, my first response would be to suggest you update your antique OS and see if that fixes it. Sure even V Collection 8 claims to be Win7 compatible, and sure there may be dozens of Win7 users out there happily still using it without issue, but that's irrelevant because you aren't one of them, so it becomes all about isolating the variables.

koshi

I'm having the same issue, although it happens only after a while. But then suddenly I'll receive no more midi signals from the Minilab MK2 on my Windows 10 and when I open the Arturia MIDI Control Center I get the "Failed to open the device. Please verify the device is not in use by another application." error message.

After rebooting the PC it works again for a while.

@NextDAW Did you solve the issue?

PS: I have to add that I'm running the latest firmware.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:00:24 am by koshi »

hayashi

I solved. Try to close the anti-virus software (Kaspersky, Webroot, AVG, Norton, etc.) or Windows Defender when upgrading the firmware.

fredmant

• Apprentice
Hopefully, someone from Arturia, or another kind user with knowledge of this problem, can come to our rescue and offer a solution. [fingers-crossed].  :)

Hayashi solved his problem, anti-virus must be shut down to update, but there is a minilab mk 2 forum as well. This is the keylab mk 2 forum. You might want to repost this in that group. Best of luck!

mkreider

I created an account just to put my input on this as I had the exact same issue.

1. OS has nothing to do with it. I had the same issue on Windows 10.
2. Anti-virus didn't do anything for me
3. Entire PC "refresh" did not work
4. Factory reset of MKII did not work
5. Reinstallation of software/firmware did not work
6. Disabling other audio drivers did not work

I was behind on firmware by one version but couldn't update because the MKII "could not be found". Oddly enough, however, my computer did correctly identify the device and classified it properly as well. It seemed to be solely a recognition issue with the MIDI Controller software.

I found this article from Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/resolving-midi-device-issues-on-pc-and-mac/. It provides a link to download the MIDI-OX software. It hasn't been updated since, 2010, so I was skeptical but desperate.

Once installed, I opened the app and, not knowing what I was doing, went to Options > MIDI Devices. A window popped up to select MIDI inputs and outputs, of which I selected MiniLab MK II for both (again, no idea what I was doing), and hit "Ok". I then closed MIDI-OX.

I went back to MCC to install/upgrade the firmware and voila, success. It installed immediately and I started seeing the MCC react to button presses on the MKII. I then opened up Analog Lab and tested that and all worked nominally.

I had so much trouble finding support on this that I HAD to share with others. I sincerely hope this helps at least some of you. Best of luck!

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines