March 28, 2024, 02:11:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Record velocity when step sequencing  (Read 1999 times)

slinke

Record velocity when step sequencing
« on: December 12, 2020, 11:00:40 pm »
I LOVE this sequencer but this is the only MIDI step sequencer I've used that doesn't record velocity and I'm not sure why someone would want this. We can make adjustments on our synths if we need it to be steady or ignored. And of course we can adjust it per note but one at a time for hundreds/thousands of different notes? :-\

spnc

• Apprentice
Re: Record velocity when step sequencing
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 05:39:06 pm »
I LOVE this sequencer but this is the only MIDI step sequencer I've used that doesn't record velocity and I'm not sure why someone would want this. We can make adjustments on our synths if we need it to be steady or ignored. And of course we can adjust it per note but one at a time for hundreds/thousands of different notes? :-\

Yes pretty lame. Fixed in firmware update v2.0 coming soon hopefully.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 11:56:07 pm »

Do you mean, setting a static setting, that the KSP, will always adhere to?  You mean always 127, etc?

slinke

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 03:56:13 am »

Do you mean, setting a static setting, that the KSP, will always adhere to?  You mean always 127, etc?

I mean it would be desirable for KSP to record the velocity of each note as is is played during step entry, like it does in real time. For some reason, with step entry, it ignores velocity sets all notes to 100.

I'm curious to hear what the opposing views are on this. Personally, I don't see an advantage.

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 01:48:13 pm »

I mean it would be desirable for KSP to record the velocity of each note as is is played during step entry, like it does in real time. For some reason, with step entry, it ignores velocity sets all notes to 100.

I'm curious to hear what the opposing views are on this. Personally, I don't see an advantage.

Ah!  I never really record this way, so never noticed, but I do see your point.  For consistency sakes, I too think that recording should be the same across all methods, so users know what to expect.  If velocity is recorded in one way, it should be recorded in all ways.  It really would be a waste of time having to go back and edit each note individually, just to compensate for velocity changes.

I see no reason to oppose this and I think you should raise with this support, so it gets logged for a possible future implementation.

synthcreep

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 05:11:48 pm »
The intent I believe is that velocity can be set by the encoder as the default so it applies to every note entered in step mode, making it quick and consistent.   Personally, I prefer it that way but that's because of the genre of music I make.  My beef with the current approach is that the encoder only changes the default when outside of step edit which seems counter-intuitive.

That said, I agree it absolutely should be an option to record velocity based on what was played in both live and step record.

TonvaterJan

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 12:09:37 pm »
+1 for recording while Step Sequencing

lespi

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 10:11:45 am »
+1 for this feature. Much needed!!

al80

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 09:16:34 pm »