April 20, 2024, 10:02:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Send Midi to BSP from Logic  (Read 1093 times)

brigdonia

Send Midi to BSP from Logic
« on: December 11, 2020, 06:21:48 pm »
Hello. I am a new BSP user. I have spent several days trying to get my BSP setup correctly.

I have setup the BSP so it syncs with Logic Pro X following the instructions I received from Arturia (I can post these if necessary but they are very similar to the ones on the forum). I get midi in to Logic perfectly in sync.

Following TerryM's youtube video I am able to separate out the midi channels into separate channel strips/instruments (although I did have to change the channel for SEQ 1 in the MCC as any press of any of the BSPS would result in Midi in data on channel 1).

However, I cannot seem to get any midi in from Logic. I have created an 'external midi' track in Logic, and set the output to 'Arturia BeatStep Pro BeatStepProInEditor (the only option it gives me), along with the corresponding receive midi channel (from example by default the DRUM BSP send and receive is set to channel 10).

I have pressed DRUM+Channel+step 10 to make sure I am on the right channel, along with record (shows up blue on BSP) but I do not get any midi in when I play it from Logic.

There doesn't appear to be any in if I open the MCC too.

Can anyone help? And/or recommend a solution?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 06:37:57 pm by brigdonia »

brigdonia

Re: Send Midi to BSP from Logic
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 03:48:44 pm »
The fix for this, if anyone else was wondering was to delete all my preferences for logic from library/preferences. A corrupt plist file was causing the BSP to not show up as a midi port destination.

HOWEVER, while I can now send midi from an external midi channel in Logic to the BSP and record the pattern in the BSP. It is not without issue - it seems to get stuck on the last note played for the SEQs, most of the time keeping the note duration information. The step length is correct in the BSP too. Which is weird. Additionally, the DRUMS pattern always seem to add extra steps, despite the midi going into the BSP being 100% quantised to the correct 16th note duration. I'm wondering if this is a latency issue going in, and the BSP is quantising the input across two steps?

Occasionally the recorded midi in the BSP also shows ghost notes - short notes that are chromatic, next to the original note in. These don't always happen, seems to occur every 5~ recordings or so.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines