April 26, 2024, 11:07:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: 5ms between MIDI and gate  (Read 1397 times)

agodzillar

• Apprentice
5ms between MIDI and gate
« on: December 09, 2020, 06:04:05 pm »
Hi,

i want to play my 0coast with midi and say plaits from the Gate out of keysteppro.
on very snappy sounds it's audible that 0-coast is 5ms delayed.
i tried with behringer k2 same 5ms delay.

i can see where midi comes with a delay. In that setup, my DSI tempest as master plays 5ms latter or as slave 7ms.
but.. isn't it possible since keystep pro combines gates, sync, clock and midi to work on that and have like an "offset menu" where we could set midi clock and all midi notes on/off (all messages really) from +10ms to -10ms ? to offer some delay compensation depending on the setup ? it looks like i have a consistent 5ms direct out from keystep pro to both 0-coast or K-2 or with tempest as a master.
So i don't know if 5ms is a famous number in midi or if it's me.

but yeah a -5ms somewhere would allow my midi clock and midi notes to be sync to gates. if you think 5ms is not much it's quite audible on snappy sounds ! specially if you have kick on midi and snare on gate.

With such an offset i guess pressing play the first notes would be +5ms and midi clock would take a moment to adjust to the offset setting (-5ms in my case)
but i prefer that to having this clappish sound everywhere :p
anyone experience that ?

--EDIT
hey i don't know if "time shift" is in ms but adding 6|6 shift on the gates to Plaits removes that offset (by playing gates 6ms later i guess ?)
so it's almost like this feature is already there but need to be upgraded to a "dedicated offset sync sub menu setting) rather than a performance tool.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 06:09:25 pm by agodzillar »

agodzillar

• Apprentice
Re: 5ms between MIDI and gate
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 11:58:34 am »

jocksbeat

• Apprentice
  • Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 04:11:36 pm »
You're right agodzillar, it is a problem for percussive sounds indeed. Midi chained synths from the same midi can create the same issue, as every synth add a delay from input to the out/thru port. but two parallel ports should be in sync.
Have you sent this issue to Arturia support yet?  I think they can fix this in a firmware update :-)
kind regards 

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2020, 09:28:22 am »
Hello.
If that appears to be the case, please send a message to the support team.
We will try to see what we can do about that in the 2.0
Best
Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Boutwell1

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 08:49:20 am »
I'll be sure to keep an eye on this thread. I was looking for the same issue.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines