March 29, 2024, 10:02:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Drum channel and midi issues  (Read 2354 times)

thiagozt

• Apprentice
Drum channel and midi issues
« on: December 03, 2020, 10:50:38 pm »
The latest firmware update did not address an issue I had with the way the drum channel responds to an incoming midi signal.
My KSP is being driven by Ableton Live. I have some notes being sent from Live to the KSP, to trigger some eurorack modules.
If I try to program more notes on any of the KSP's drum channels, the incoming midi notes cause the channel to "jump around" to whatever note is being played by Ableton Live. That makes it impossible to program anything while there are midi notes coming in.

Has anyone found a way around this?
I had a Beatstep a while ago and it didn't behave like that...

thiagozt

• Apprentice
Re: Drum channel and midi issues
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 09:52:28 pm »
anyone?

AdrianLazerMan

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 10:57:37 am »
Just to rule out possible problems:
Is the KSP also sending MIDI to Ableton? If so you might have a MIDI loop problem.

thiagozt

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 08:54:00 pm »
Just to rule out possible problems:
Is the KSP also sending MIDI to Ableton? If so you might have a MIDI loop problem.

I triple checked that. It is not sending midi to back to Live, so no MIDI loop is happening. I tried a very simple and clean session and got the same results as I described above. I seems clear to me that the KSP automatically selects whatever drum note that Live sends to it, making it impossible to select a drum note or add steps because it jumps around like crazy. Maybe I should make a video...

madb

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 09:57:48 pm »
A toggle for that "jump around" behavior would sure be great, huh!! Or just turning it off entirely...

Here's a terrible workaround: dedicate one of the other tracks to being the Ableton MIDI pass through. Like, set Track 1 Drum and Track 4 to the same MIDI out channel, send Ableton MIDI out to Track 4, now you can program the drum track without dealing with incoming notes. But you lose an entire track to this, so... it stinks!

thiagozt

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 12:30:46 am »
A toggle for that "jump around" behavior would sure be great, huh!! Or just turning it off entirely...

Here's a terrible workaround: dedicate one of the other tracks to being the Ableton MIDI pass through. Like, set Track 1 Drum and Track 4 to the same MIDI out channel, send Ableton MIDI out to Track 4, now you can program the drum track without dealing with incoming notes. But you lose an entire track to this, so... it stinks!

I know, this one is hard to get around but your suggestion is interesting. Have you tried it?

madb

• Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 03:57:43 am »

I know, this one is hard to get around but your suggestion is interesting. Have you tried it?

Yeah, it works -- but still far from ideal  :-[

thiagozt

• Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 04:15:54 am »

Great! Why aren't more people complaining about this? How do we get Arturia to pay attention to this?

spnc

• Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 10:59:30 am »

Great! Why aren't more people complaining about this? How do we get Arturia to pay attention to this?

Why would we complain about it, when a company like Arturia - that claims to be one of the biggest music brands out there, has not customer feedback process in place?

Edouard_Arturia

• Product Manager
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 09:11:11 am »
Hello.
You can report your issues to the support team.
They duly reference any complaint and will provide guidance if needed.
Best
Edouard
DGDGDGDGDG

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 02:25:26 pm »
Hello.
You can report your issues to the support team.
They duly reference any complaint and will provide guidance if needed.
Best
Edouard

I have to admit.  Support has been really good with me.  When I first got my KSP, I had a ton of issues with it (still do - only because of missing functionality), but Leo was fantastic to work with and really did help me sort out some problems, or at the very least, give reasonings for why things don't work.  He said he submitted my requests to be looked at and even gave me a bit of info from a managers meeting they had, regarding certain missing functions.  While most of what I require from this unit has yet to be implemtned, but I am hopeful for V2, that many of my needs will be met.  Regardless, support has been good and I can't complain.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines