March 28, 2024, 12:19:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Velocity Curve in DAW & Analog Lab modes  (Read 4402 times)

flyjat76

• Apprentice
Velocity Curve in DAW & Analog Lab modes
« on: December 02, 2020, 07:15:01 pm »
Hi all, first post from new (ish!) Mk2 user...

I can't find a way of changing the velocity curve for Analog Lab & DAW modes. I'm happy with how to do it via MCC or the keyboard & saving to a User Preset, but this doesn't change the curve for the 'read only' modes of Analog Lab & DAW. It's also not clear what velocity curve is selected when using these modes - is it LIN, LOG or EXP?

So if I wish to e.g. perform a piano part (where I like using EXP) I have to select a User Preset to get EXP curve, but then can't use my DAW controls since I'm not in DAW mode!

The Essential series of keyboards have keyboard velocity curve as a global setting, yet the Mk2 doesn't.

This seems an odd feature that when using the 2 main selling points of the keyboard (Analog Lab & DAW control) one can't choose something as basic as keyboard velocity curve.

Am I missing something?

Thanks all!

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 07:32:01 pm by flyjat76 »

LBH

Re: Velocity Curve in DAW & Analog Lab modes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 09:50:24 pm »
Hi and welcoem to Arturia forums.

I don't have a Arturia controller. But you can read this in the manual:
"USER presets let you configure your KeyLab MkII controls and parameters (Velocity Curves,
Knob Acceleration, MIDI In/Out settings, CV In/Out settings,...). These parameters will also
affect the DAW and Analog Lab modes, letting you use your customisations in these modes
."

According to this, then - as i understand it - the velocity curve setting set in User mode should also be applied to the other modes. If that's not the case, then i suggest you contact Arturia support through your account.

I do think it's strange, that you apparantly only can change the Velocity Curve, when you are in User Edit mode, even if the change will affect all modes, unless you actually can access the User Edit mode from Analog Lab and DAW modes and you automaticly return to the mode you were in, when you quit the User Edit mode. I would ask Arturia support about that, if it does'nt behave like this.

I would say, that it's good you have the possiblity to create templates that have different velocity curves stored. But i think a template and a global curve parameter would be good. Then a template could be set to use it's own local setting or use the global setting.
And the Analog Lab and DAW modes could also be set too use the global setting or the current User template setting. Just some current thoughts.

flyjat76

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 09:03:03 am »
Hi LBH, thanks for the quick reply.

Amazing work - I think that passage from the manual might be the answer! I’ve read that part many times but never interpreted it the way you have.

I’ve also been in touch with Arturia Support who have focused more on confirming that Analog Lab & DAW modes are not editable which doesn’t really answer my query about HOW to select velocity curve in these modes.

So I tested it out what that part of the manual appears to suggest.

It appears that that when using Analog Lab & DAW mode, the velocity curve is set to whatever it was when the last User Preset was selected.

e.g. Assume 2 User Presets - DEFAULT 1 & DEFAULT 2 with the velocity curves set as follows:

DEFAULT 1 = LIN, DEFAULT 2 = EXP

If I select DEFAULT 1, & then Analog Lab or DAW modes, the velocity curve remains LIN. If I then want to use EXP velocity curve in these modes, I have to select DEFAULT 2, & then go bask to Analog Lab or DAW mode as required.

In other words, the keyboard ‘remembers’ the values for velocity curve (& presumably knob acceleration, MIDI In/Out etc...) that were selected in the last USER PRESET used.

So looks like my query is sorted - thanks for the insight LBH! The manual could be clearer I think (but possibly a language thing!).

This all said, I do think things like velocity curve should be global settings (like they are in the KeyLab Essential series of controllers!).

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:04:51 am by flyjat76 »

LBH

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 02:21:03 am »
Your welcome. Glad i could help.

fredmant

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 02:12:30 pm »
I like the option to set independent velocity curves so you can set one to be an 'organ' feel, vs a 'piano' feel, vs a 'synth' feel. And don't even get me started on NI horns :)

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines