March 29, 2024, 01:14:51 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Thin sound, less bass when connected to the 6.35mm output  (Read 1931 times)

DJ TideWave

Thin sound, less bass when connected to the 6.35mm output
« on: November 25, 2020, 09:41:25 am »
Hi.

I just bought the Microfreak and started to read the manual. It says I will get a better signal to noise ratio if I connect to the output using the 6.35mm output. I have a 6.35mm phono to 3.5mm minijack adapter which is connected to my mixer with 2 X RCA 3.5mm minijack to 2 X RCA. When I connect like this the sound is very thin with almost no bass. When I connect my 3.5mm minijack to 2 X RCA through the headphone output, the sounds is like it should be, rich with bass. Is something wrong with my Microfreak? My mixer is Numark CM200 USB. I have connected an Empire 2.1 (X-gaming 5000) active speakers to the mixer (I will upgrade to studio monitors later). Firmware is 2.03.657.

I tried to connect my headphones to the 6.35m output and it sounds thinner with less bass through the 6.35mm output than the 3.5mm headphone output.

YouTube link for the 6.35mm output:
https://youtu.be/BCFOoEz2lq0

YouTube link for the headphone output:
https://youtu.be/DUbwinzq23o

Thanks for all the answers.

Br,

Robert
« Last Edit: November 25, 2020, 09:44:22 am by DJ TideWave »

Airlane1979

• Apprentice
Re: Thin sound, less bass when connected to the 6.35mm output
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 02:29:00 pm »
I compared the two outputs on my own MF and was unable to hear any difference. The line-level out is balanced, as you'll read in 3.2.1 of the manual. There is a noticeable improvement in noise performance when using this output, but only when it's with a TRS connector cable to a balanced input in a mixer. There shouldn't be any difference in frequency response, so I can only conclude there's a fault.

According to the Numark CM200 USB manual I briefly consulted online, it doesn't appear to have any balanced inputs, unless the two 6.35mm jack inputs for mics are balanced and I didn't see any reference to them being so - the diagram showing equipment connected to the mixer shows mics with TR (tip-ring) 6.35mm jacks, which implies an unbalanced mic input only. But that limitation still shouldn't reduce the bass.

I tried using a standard guitar lead from the line-level out and it sounded fine. You might try that, as it's a simpler connection which would reduce the likelihood of odd dodgy connections with all those adapters.

vinark

• Apprentice
Re: Thin sound, less bass when connected to the 6.35mm output
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 02:09:05 pm »
Hi.

I just bought the Microfreak and started to read the manual. It says I will get a better signal to noise ratio if I connect to the output using the 6.35mm output. I have a 6.35mm phono to 3.5mm minijack adapter which is connected to my mixer with 2 X RCA 3.5mm minijack to 2 X RCA. When I connect like this the sound is very thin with almost no bass. When I connect my 3.5mm minijack to 2 X RCA through the headphone output, the sounds is like it should be, rich with bass. Is something wrong with my Microfreak? My mixer is Numark CM200 USB. I have connected an Empire 2.1 (X-gaming 5000) active speakers to the mixer (I will upgrade to studio monitors later). Firmware is 2.03.657.

I tried to connect my headphones to the 6.35m output and it sounds thinner with less bass through the 6.35mm output than the 3.5mm headphone output.

YouTube link for the 6.35mm output:
https://youtu.be/BCFOoEz2lq0

YouTube link for the headphone output:
https://youtu.be/DUbwinzq23o

Thanks for all the answers.

Br,

Robert
This is completely the wrong way. The 6.35 is not a stereo but a balanced mono output and what you do will not work. You must connect the 6.35 with one balanced trs cable to a mono input of a mixer. Otherwise just use the 3.5, which is stereo and you use that the right way.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines