March 28, 2024, 09:33:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Does KSP pass data thru from all 16 MIDI channels?  (Read 1777 times)

Electro Something

• Apprentice
Does KSP pass data thru from all 16 MIDI channels?
« on: November 23, 2020, 05:07:39 pm »
Does the KeyStep Pro pass all 16 channels of MIDI data thru from the MIDI IN to MIDI OUT?

Apparently the latest firmware supports MIDI soft thru (which by default is always turned on).   But I tried connecting another sequencer to the KSP’s MIDI IN and data is definitely not passing thru. 

Thanks!

Andrew Henderson

Re: Does KSP pass data thru from all 16 MIDI channels?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 08:25:37 pm »
Does the KeyStep Pro pass all 16 channels of MIDI data thru from the MIDI IN to MIDI OUT?

Apparently the latest firmware supports MIDI soft thru (which by default is always turned on).   But I tried connecting another sequencer to the KSP’s MIDI IN and data is definitely not passing thru. 

Thanks!

Unfortunately, No.  They Keystep pro can only transmit on midi channels, assigned to the 4 sequencer tracks.  Those 4 sequencer tracks can be assigned any midi channel from 1-16 and you can change them on the fly, but you are still restricted to only the 4 tracks.  Basically, you can only have 4 channels running at once.  Even if you change the channel on a sequencer track, the sequencer will then trigger what is connected to that channel.  There is no 'live play' functionality, like found on the original Keystep, where you can freely play on an open channel, outside of the sequencers (or arps).

This is one of the most gutting situations I found out the hard way, when I got my Keystep Pro, this past summer.  I thought it was second nature and a given, to have a midi controller, freely pass 16 channels through.  Not being able to do this, really screwed up my workflow and it took me a long time to rewire my setup and get used to this serious, limitation.

This setback, as well as not being able to set velocity values in the settings, for the controller to respond to, really made me regret giving up my Novation, which was able to do both of these.

Electro Something

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 10:34:47 pm »

Unfortunately, No.  They Keystep pro can only transmit on midi channels, assigned to the 4 sequencer tracks.  Those 4 sequencer tracks can be assigned any midi channel from 1-16 and you can change them on the fly, but you are still restricted to only the 4 tracks.  Basically, you can only have 4 channels running at once.  Even if you change the channel on a sequencer track, the sequencer will then trigger what is connected to that channel.  There is no 'live play' functionality, like found on the original Keystep, where you can freely play on an open channel, outside of the sequencers (or arps).

This is one of the most gutting situations I found out the hard way, when I got my Keystep Pro, this past summer.  I thought it was second nature and a given, to have a midi controller, freely pass 16 channels through.  Not being able to do this, really screwed up my workflow and it took me a long time to rewire my setup and get used to this serious, limitation.

This setback, as well as not being able to set velocity values in the settings, for the controller to respond to, really made me regret giving up my Novation, which was able to do both of these.

Thanks for the reply!   Bummer that there's no MIDI thru.  I've been holding off buying a MIDI thru/merge box for years - might just have to bite the bullet now and end my constant MIDI battles. 

Andrew Henderson

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 10:47:43 pm »
You are most welcome for the reply and I am sorry the news couldn't have been better.

Yes, as of firmware 1.29, some soft midi thru capabilities were offered, but that was pitchbend, modulation and sustain pedal information, through the 4 sequencer tracks and nothing beyond.  Yes, you read correctly, up before firmware 1.29, ZERO midi information could be passed through, besides note on/off and velocity.  Currently, even as of the latest firmware, all midi cc and program change messages, cannot be passed through the unit, as well as channels outside of the sequencer tracks.  I am still hoping this will be remedied at some point.

A midi thru box is invaluable at this point.  I'm currently using the midi out of my interface, patched into an oldskool Digital Music Corp MX-8, to get all my midi routing needs and only use the KSP for tracks I want to sequence on, otherwise, it isn't used for anything else.  I have to treat it more like 4 sequencers, instead of an actual midi controller.

Thovy64

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 03:39:13 pm »
Is it possible to disable the midi thru? It makes a midi loop on my setup (MPX16  --> ksp-->MPX16).

spnc

• Apprentice
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 08:04:32 pm »

Thanks!

This! Thanks for putting the words.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines