March 28, 2024, 11:44:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Midi Polyphonic Expression  (Read 2682 times)

Ernestine

• Apprentice
Midi Polyphonic Expression
« on: November 19, 2020, 10:39:35 pm »
Hi dear Aturia-People,
the MPE controls are listed in the vst's parameter settings but they don't seem to be of any effect. Do you plan to implement the MPE controls in future updates?
I would be very much interested in using them...!!
Best,
Ernestine

LBH

Re: Midi Polyphonic Expression
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 12:26:38 am »
Hi and welcome to Arturia forums.

Which MPE parameters do you talk about?

You can allready assign a control to a parameter.
You can in example assign aftertouch to a parameter.

Is that what you mean?

Ernestine

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 04:09:50 pm »
Hi LBH, Thanks for replying so fast! I am talking about parameters 372-387 of the Vst Plugin. It‘s MPE_PitchBend_0-15.
Best,
E

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 05:04:41 pm »
Hi,

Do you have a MPE controller? Do you have DAW that support MPE?
If so - Have you in example tried Pitchbend and tried to assign Aftertouch to a parameter like i described?

I can't tell if it allready work, like the channel based Pitchbend and Aftertouch does. But it's a possibility.

I don't have the equiptment to test.

Best
LBH

Ernestine

• Apprentice
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 08:39:36 pm »
Hi,
I‘m hosting B-3 V2 as vst plugin in Max/MSP.
The B-3 V2 does not make a difference on which channel I send a PitchBend message. It is always treated as global, effecting all 16 channels.
The idea of MPE is quite the opposite: associating a message to a single note played by singling out its channel. So I can have a Pitchbend up on a played c on channel 1 and simultaneously a Pitchbend down on another c on channel 2.
That means, the sound generator (here B-3 V2) must be in multitimbral mode, meaning it accepts notes on all 16 channels. This is achieved in the B-3 V2 by putting it to Midimode „Upper“. Then the upper manual is no longer playing on one specific channel but on all.
OK. What should happen when I send a message like „MPE_PitchBend_0 0.2“ is a bend down exclusively on channel 1. But nothing happens. A message like „PitchBend 0.2“ is well executed (so the vst plugin reacts to parameter messages).
Since apparently the plugin accepts the MPE messsage (otherwise it would give an alert about an unknown message) but doens‘t execute it I wonder what the plan of the makers is with the MPE-feature.
And I wonder wether has anyone got it working?
Best,

LBH

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:44:10 pm »
Thanks.

Sorry - I forgot B3 V2 does'nt work in ALL mode, and MPE use multiple MIDI channels..
Other Arturia applications does have a ALL setting. So perhaps you can try it out in them. I assume it will also require the parameters can respond to ALL midi channels at the same time. I'm not sure that's the case.

I think only Pigments officially have MPE support - of some kind at least.
I also think that CS-80 work with at least polyphonic aftertouch. I understand, it has worked for some, but i have never had polyphonic aftertouch my self.

I can suggest you ask Arturia support, if you wan't an answer.
Perhaps it's just a way to work fast and easy, that the parameters is present. And perhaps thery are there just in case. Perhaps Arturia also prepere for MIDI 2.0. I can't tell.
I think Arturia will only teel you is it works now or not. perhpas they will tell you more, if they are absolute certain if it will arrive or not.

I don't know if anyone have it working. Perhaps someone will reply about that.

Best
LBH
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 10:21:24 pm by LBH »

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines