April 25, 2024, 12:36:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Big Sur, Apple ARM CPUs  (Read 1471 times)

LBH

Big Sur, Apple ARM CPUs
« on: November 16, 2020, 04:41:45 pm »
I suggest Arturia make it clear everywhere, if the products can run with Big Sur and with the new Apple ARM CPUs.
As it is now, then as far as i can tell Arturias website actually say the products is compatible with both, as there only are minimum specs, and there is no info/ warning anywhere about Big Sur and the new apple ARM CPUs.

MajorFubar

• Global Moderator
Re: Big Sur, Apple ARM CPUs
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 05:11:49 pm »
They certainly won't be compatible with the ARM Macs. But you're right, if Arturia's products aren't compatible with the new OS they should perhaps put a banner on their website advising users not to update yet, and maybe send out a e-mailshot advising users to hold fire updating for the time being. They did do that once before, so they could do it again.
2022 Apple Studio Max 32/32/2TB Monterey • V Collection 9 • Analog Lab 4 + 5 • KeyLab 88 • KeyStep

spnc

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 08:08:19 am »
They certainly won't be compatible with the ARM Macs. But you're right, if Arturia's products aren't compatible with the new OS they should perhaps put a banner on their website advising users not to update yet, and maybe send out a e-mailshot advising users to hold fire updating for the time being. They did do that once before, so they could do it again.

Typical Arturia, they will update their products in one year at best...

LBH

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 06:20:14 pm »
As far as i recall, then i suggested the same when Windows 10 arrived.

Anyway, then the i think the specifications for a product should include informations like this at any time. At least there should be a a link that's very clear to a information page, that at all times give current informations about things like this.
Then a company like Arturia also would be more legally secured. If the specifications say OS Y+ and CPU minimum Z GHz, then it should be true. It's not. I would say, that 2.5 GHz is enough to run all applications with all sounds at max voices active, if they shall be used with a real time low latency buffer size.
I think all manufactors of audio production products have more or less information issues like this.

Someone may even buy new exspensive computers to run the products, and then they find out they can't, even if a product pages seems to say, it should be possible. That's not good.

That said, then i think Apple very often change things a lot, so things that work on one OS does'nt on another. I'm not sure it even make performance much better, so perhaps it's to protect Apples own profit only. I doubt they inform third party manufactors about the changes while developing, even if that perhaps could help to have products ready at a OS release date or around that time.
So perhaps Apple is more to blame. I can't tell for sure. As it is, then manufactors like Arturia can 't be blammed for what Apple does.
It's not allways easy for third party developers to keep up.

But informations should be availble at once.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines