March 28, 2024, 09:10:31 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register
News:

Arturia Forums

Author Topic: Aftertouch bug?  (Read 2522 times)

jbone1313

• Apprentice
Aftertouch bug?
« on: February 17, 2021, 08:26:27 pm »
Repro steps:
-In the mod matrix, map aftertouch to pitch
-Play a C note. Preferably with a tuner device afterwards

Expected results:
-Without applying pressure, a C note is shown in the tuner
-With applying pressure, pitch is changed

Actual results:
-Without applying pressure, a different note is shown in the tuner. The note is usually a half step above or below, assuming you have set the mod matrix amount to the maximum in the respective direction, up or down.
-With applying pressure, pitch is not changed as much as expected.

Discussion:
It seems like a bug. Even without applying pressure, the pitch is being changed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 08:32:42 pm by jbone1313 »

LBH

Re: Aftertouch bug?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2021, 09:38:28 pm »
Hi,

To me it sound like you have set the Tuning parameter at the top of the application to max. Then the overall tuning is being raised a quarter note. This tuning will also show in the Tuner, if it's set to 440 Hz tuning.
If you then apply modultion to the same parameter, then you will not get any further modulation result, as that's how far the overall Tuning parameter go.

Modulating the seperate Operator Pitches with aftertouch will/ should give a different result. But keep in mind that the result also depend on the choosen algorithm - (how the operator is being used, and if it's used at all).

The 440 Hz overall tuning is when the Tuning parameter is set to the Center position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case it's not about the above, then which Pitch are you talking about? Tuning or Operator Pitch?
Which plugin do you use? VST2, VST3 or...? Do you have the issue in standalone mode?
Which OS do you use?

No matter what, then you should not have a pitch change before you add modulation.
Can you hear the pitch change when you raise the modulation amount, while you hold the note? If not, then it look like, it's about the above mentioned Tuning.

jbone1313

• Apprentice
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2021, 10:19:07 pm »
To me it sound like you have set the Tuning parameter at the top of the application to max. Then the overall tuning is being raised a quarter note. This tuning will also show in the Tuner, if it's set to 440 Hz tuning.
If you then apply modultion to the same parameter, then you will not get any further modulation result, as that's how far the overall Tuning parameter go.

Modulating the seperate Operator Pitches with aftertouch will/ should give a different result. But keep in mind that the result also depend on the choosen algorithm - (how the operator is being used, and if it's used at all).

The 440 Hz overall tuning is when the Tuning parameter is set to the Center position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
In case it's not about the above, then which Pitch are you talking about? Tuning or Operator Pitch?
Which plugin do you use? VST2, VST3 or...? Do you have the issue in standalone mode?
Which OS do you use?

No matter what, then you should not have a pitch change before you add modulation.
Can you hear the pitch change when you raise the modulation amount, while you hold the note? If not, then it look like, it's about the above mentioned Tuning.
Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

The Tuning parameter at the top is set to the default, center point.

Indeed, I am modulating Tuning. I was not precise enough with that in the OP.

I am using VST2. I will try VST3 and report back.

OS is Windows 10.

jbone1313

• Apprentice
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2021, 10:22:30 pm »
Yeah, it happens in VST3 too. Another way to reproduce this is simple.

Set Aftertouch to modulate Tuning. Set your DAW to play a C note with no pressure. Then, drag the Mod Matrix Amount while the sequence is playing.

You will hear the pitch change as you drag the amount, which I think should not happen.

LBH

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2021, 11:23:10 pm »
I'm also on Windows 10.

I can not reproduce the issue with the VST2 i use or in the standalone version.
I will return, if i exsperience the issue. It could be random. I have strange aftertouch issues in Modular V.

I can suggest you try to reinstall DX7 V.
If you can rule out, that it's about your controller and a DAW setting, and if you keep having the issue, then i suggest you contact Arturia support.

I will be very interested to hear if anyone else have this issue, and if anyone else than me have aftertouch issues in Modular V.

Carbonate design by Bloc
SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines